The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, January 24, 2020

Stoic Conversations 27


"You're being too stubborn, you need to compromise! It'll get you unemployed, sick, homeless, maybe in prison, maybe even dead."

"Yes, it may well still."

"That doesn't scare you?"

"It scares the crap out of me. I wouldn't choose that at all."

"Then let some things go. Pick the battles that will work out for you the best. Compromise to make your life easier."

"Yes, you're right about letting some things go. I need to let go of the things that I prefer. But I can't let go of the things that are right."

"Why make a difference? Do what works for you!"

"Yes. What works. What is easier. What is the best. Are those all the same?"

"Yes, of course."

"And that is where we must respectfully part ways. What would you compromise, and for the sake of what?"

"I don't even know what you mean."

"I'm sorry that you don't. I'll gladly compromise what I'd like done, but I won't compromise what needs to be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment