The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, January 10, 2020

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.6


Of the proving of the true lover

1. "My Son, you are not yet strong and prudent in your love."

2. Wherefore, O my Lord?

3. "Because for a little opposition you fall away from your undertakings, and too eagerly seek after consolation. The strong lover stands fast in temptations, and believes not the evil persuasions of the enemy. As in prosperity I please him, so in adversity I do not displease.

4. "The prudent lover considers not the gift of the lover so much as the love of the giver. He looks for the affection more than the value, and sets all gifts lower than the Beloved. The noble lover rests not in the gift, but in Me above every gift.

5. "All is not lost, though you sometimes think of Me, or of My saints, less than you should desire. That good and sweet affection which you sometimes perceive is the effect of present grace and some foretaste of the heavenly country; but hereon you must not too much depend, for it goes and comes. But to strive against the evil motions of the mind which come to us, and to resist the suggestions of the devil, is a token of virtue and great merit.

6. "Therefore let not strange fancies disturb you, whensoever they arise. Bravely observe your purpose and your upright intentions towards God. It is not an illusion when you are sometimes suddenly carried away into rapture, and then suddenly are brought back to the wonted vanities of your heart. For you do rather unwillingly undergo them than cause them; and so long as they displease you and you strive against them, it is a merit and no loss.

7. "Know you that your old enemy altogether strives to hinder your pursuit after good, and to deter you from every godly exercise, to wit, the contemplation of the Saints, the pious remembrance of My Passion, the profitable recollection of sin, the keeping of your own heart, and the steadfast purpose to grow in virtue. He suggests to you many evil thoughts, that he may work in you weariness and terror, and so draw you away from prayer and holy reading. Humble confession displeases him, and if he were able he would make you to cease from Communion. Believe him not, nor heed him, though many a time he has laid for you the snares of deceit. Account it to be from him, when he suggests evil and unclean thoughts. Say unto him, 'Depart unclean spirit; put on shame, miserable one; horribly unclean are you, who brings such things to my ears. Depart from me, detestable deceiver; you shall have no part in me; but Jesus shall be with me, as a strong warrior, and you shall stand confounded. Rather would I die and bear all suffering, than consent unto you. Hold your peace and be dumb; I will not hear you more, though you plot more snares against me. The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom then shall I fear? Though a host of men should rise up against me, yet shall not my heart be afraid. The Lord is my strength and my Redeemer.'

8. "Strive you like a good soldier; and if sometimes you fail through weakness, put on your strength more bravely than before, trusting in My more abundant grace, and take you much heed of vain confidence and pride. Because of it many are led into error, and sometimes fall into blindness well-nigh irremediable. Let this ruin of the proud, who foolishly lift themselves up, be to you for a warning and a continual exhortation to humility."


No comments:

Post a Comment