The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 4.2


This is what I think ought to be done by virtue and by one who practices virtue: if Fortune gets the upper hand and deprives him of the power of action, let him not straightway turn his back to the enemy, throw away his arms, and run away seeking for a hiding-place, as if there were any place where Fortune could not pursue him, but let him be more sparing in his acceptance of public office, and after due deliberation discover some means by which he can be of use to the state.

I think I see why Seneca has concerns about what Athenodorus has said, and how this might keep Serenus from becoming his best. Even the slightest hint of hesitation can be a terrible temptation. Running away is so easy, and sticking to your guns is so hard. I sadly know how many times I have made excuses to retreat instead of engage.

What Seneca says seems quite mundane at first glance, but it reveals itself as quite radical when I look more closely. Of course I will try, and try again and again, if the public life doesn’t go my way at first.

Did I make an unpopular choice? Then all I must do is gradually alter my platform to meet with the current trends.

Did I offer a promise I never kept? Then all I must do is to redefine the terms, and make it appear that I did exactly what I said I would do.

Did I get myself caught up in a scandal? Then all I must do is to give a tearful confession, and swear my newfound loyalty to the platitudes of the day.

But no, that is not what Seneca means at all when it comes to living a good public life. He wants me to do what is right, not what is expedient. He actually has the nerve to ask me to attend to my control over myself, not to seeking control over others.

The man is an outright revolutionary, because you will notice that he first asks you to be a good man. How frustrating it is to be called out in that way! He has no interest in how rich you are, or how much influence you have, or how many votes you can buy. He actually demands virtue.

I can turn my back on the supposed friends who betray me, and I can tell all sorts of fancy lies to make myself look better. That’s all smoke and mirrors.

The Stoic believes that virtue is the highest human good, and so his way of managing the vice that opposes him is only to increase his virtue. No, he doesn’t turn away from obstacles; he makes himself better through the obstacles.

Feelings are powerful, while thoughts can rise above feelings, and have the greatest power of all. Did he throw you to the wolves? Then tame yourself. Did she break your heart? Then love her all the more.

To find opposition is never a reason to give up. It doesn’t matter if I can or cannot change the world, because that is not within my power. It does matter if I can change myself, because that is always within my power.

Written in 7/2011


No comments:

Post a Comment