The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 3.3


“But,” he continues, "because innocence is hardly safe among such furious ambitions, and there are so many men who turn one aside from the right path, and it is always sure to meet with more hindrance than help, we ought to withdraw ourselves from the forum and from public life, and a great mind even in a private station can find room wherein to expand freely.”

I can work in the world, seeking to offer something good in my own way, however small, but I should be wary of letting desire for the things of the world consume me. I sometimes think of it as being quite willing to reach out my hand to others, while still keeping a firm mastery of my own head. Do not be run away from power, honor, or pleasure, even as such circumstances must never be sought for their own sake.

Finding that balance between engagement and withdrawal, between “going out” and “staying in”, doesn’t have to come from blindly stumbling about. I can already discern the proper mean by examining my own motives, by honestly asking myself what it is that I want to achieve from any action. Is it virtue, or is it glory? Is it about what I can give, or about what I wish to receive? Am I drawn to what is good, or only to what is gratifying?

Without having the private refuge of my own mind, the allure of public life will all too easily sweep me away. Without the principles on the inside, I will become a slave to the fortune on the outside. The greed, the malice, and the manipulations of others will then make me cold and bitter.

There will have to be moments when I must not hesitate to charge into the fray, and there will have to be moments when I must be certain to stand back. Judging the difference can only arise from a clear knowledge of right and wrong, and from a sincere awareness of self. Whatever is driving me at the time will tell me where I should turn.

Throughout it all, the passions must be guided by reason. If my hands have a hold of the reins, then I am ready to ride into battle. If the horse is leading the rider, it is time to make a retreat.

It applies to the little things and to the big things. Should I go out with friends? Should I ask for a raise? Should I apply to law school? Should I run for political office? Should I ask her to marry me?

If I know myself, I will know what to do. I will recognize when I am being genuine and when I am making excuses. Taking the time to reflect on what is happening in my own soul is the only thing that can make it possible to engage in the world.

There have been many times, far more than I can now count, where I have blundered into foolish actions, and then I have assumed that action itself was the problem. No, the foolishness of the action was the problem, and that only happened because my own mind was not safe and secure from desire, fear, or anger, from a dependence on the circumstances.

True freedom in things public first requires true freedom in things private.

Written in 6/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment