The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 6.4


How, then, and in what manner should they receive such training? Since it so happens that the human being is not soul alone, nor body alone, but a kind of synthesis of the two, the person in training must take care of both, the better part, the soul, more zealously; as is fitting, but also of the other, if he shall not be found lacking in any part that constitutes man.

For obviously the philosopher's body should be well prepared for physical activity, because often the virtues make use of this as a necessary instrument for the affairs of life.

I won’t become a philosopher just by pondering some intriguing ideas, but I will need to change my whole way of living, and this will make real demands of me. Whatever else I may find myself doing in this life, it will now be altered to the core, because it will now be driven by conscience, not by convenience.

Furthermore, I won’t become a philosopher just by acquiring some new skills, but I will need to rid myself of all the old skills, the ones that strengthened those habits of greed and entitlement. It requires tearing everything down so that it can be properly rebuilt, working from a new plan.

Finally, I won’t become a philosopher just by attending to one aspect of myself, but I will need to reform the whole of my person, all parts together within the whole. This involves the mind ruling over and attending to the body, the higher with a mastery over the lower, working as one.

Many people look only to their bodies, and they assume that they will be happy if they are physically strong, or attractive, or gratified. Some people look only to their minds, and they assume that they will be happy if they are mentally sharp, or learned, or clever. In either extreme, one component of humanity is starved at the expense of the other; the whole person suffers when only some pieces are nourished.

The philosopher will recognize that his own nature is perfected in the same manner that all of Nature is perfected: by order, balance, and complementarity. He will not neglect any component of his health, even as he will understand the priority among these components.

He will care for his body, since it is through his body that he senses, and feels, and acts, and he will care for his soul, since it is through his soul that he conceives, and judges, and chooses. He will, however, remain aware that the value of his exterior self is in service to the value of his interior self, and so he measures what must be given, and what must be taken away, through a constant awareness of the means and ends.

Accordingly, if he must choose between them, he will give up his health, his wealth, and his pleasures for the sake of his wisdom, virtue, and character. But he will never ignore what is right and good in any of his powers, and he will never consider them to be unimportant.

The virtues must spread themselves out through the whole person, and so the training required to be virtuous must be spread out through the whole person; a strong body offers the best support to a strong soul.

To have prudence, I will be assisted by the greatest possible acuity of my senses and liveliness of my concentration. A tired body hinders a careful mind.

To have fortitude, I will be assisted by the greatest possible control over my instincts of fear and anger. A quivering or enraged body will not be able to stand up to danger.

To have temperance, I will be assisted by the greatest possible taming of my instincts of longing and desire. A lazy or lustful body will fold in the face of temptation.

To have justice, I will be assisted by the greatest possible strength in my bones, and sinews, and muscles. This is not so that I may do violence to my enemies, but so that I may protect those who are abused however I can, and build for those in need however I can.

A craftsman does his best work with the right tools, and a good man does his best work with a healthy body. However it is within my power, I must train the whole as best I can, from top to bottom.

Written in 7/1999

No comments:

Post a Comment