The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Sayings of Socrates 29


And I prophesy to you who are my murderers, that immediately after my death punishment far heavier than you have inflicted on me will surely await you. 

Me you have killed because you wanted to escape the accuser, and not to give an account of your lives. But that will not be as you suppose: far otherwise. For I say that there will be more accusers of you than there are now, accusers whom hitherto I have restrained; and as they are younger they will be more severe with you, and you will be more offended at them. 

For if you think that by killing men you can avoid the accuser censoring your lives, you are mistaken; that is not a way of escape which is either possible or honorable. 

The easiest and the noblest way is not to be crushing others, but to be improving yourselves.

—Plato, Apology 39c–d

IMAGE: William Blake, "Anytus, Melitus, and Lycon thought Socrates a very pernicious man: so Caiaphas thought Jesus. . ."





No comments:

Post a Comment