The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Stoic Conversations 18


"I don't want to do this anymore. I'm tired. I'm done. Aren't you done?" 

"I feel that way all the time. I feel that way right now. But I'll be done when it comes to me, not when I can still do better. That may be tomorrow, or it may be in twenty years, but I still have a chance to do it right." 

"Shut up! Shut up with your hope! There's no hope!" 

"In what? The situation getting more pleasant? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Let's assume it won't, just because I assume that all the time. That's not the point. Can you still love? Do that. The rest is bullshit." 

"Goddammit, I hate you." 

"Yes, I know." 

"And I suppose I love you." 

"Yes, I know. And I love you too."


No comments:

Post a Comment