The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Stoic Film: The Green Mile


God never gave me the gift of being a living miracle, and he never made me a profound blessing to the world. Providence made me just another piss-poor bungling fellow, trying to find his own way.

Yet I imagine what might have happened if He had made me special. I could have used those gifts for my gain, made a name for myself, and manipulated others to make myself look important. I could have been rich. I could have founded a Megachurch, become influential, and married a smiling trophy wife.

Or I could have been like John Coffey.

This film matters in so many ways. The best people aren't the ones who draw attention to themselves, but the ones who somehow manage to love through all of the hurt.

"You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do.

"I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why.

"Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand? "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDIe0YqFuzI

If you do not feel those pieces of glass in your head, I'm sorry, but you are not my friend. If you do not deeply feel the suffering in this world, we are working from a very different moral compass.

If you do feel it, do something about it. Shallow political or religious ideology means nothing. Help your neighbor, the man who struggles right next door. Pious or politically correct words don't cut it. Ideas are cheap, but actions are priceless. 

Written in 4/2001








No comments:

Post a Comment