The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 30: Taming Wild Beasts



. . . As we hunt wild beasts with toil and peril, and even when they are caught find them an anxious possession, for they often tear their keepers to pieces, even so are great pleasures. They turn out to be great evils and take their owners prisoner. The more numerous and the greater they are, the more inferior and the slave of more masters does that man become whom the vulgar call a happy man.

I may even press this analogy further: as the man who tracks wild animals to their lairs, and who sets great store on "seeking with snares the wandering brutes to noose," and "making their hounds the spacious glade surround," that he may follow their tracks, neglects far more desirable things, and leaves many duties unfulfilled, so he who pursues pleasure postpones everything to it, disregards that first essential, liberty, and sacrifices it to his belly; nor does he buy pleasure for himself, but sells himself to pleasure.

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 14 (tr Stewart)

I remember a news story back in the 1980’s, though I hardly know where the facts ended and the urban legend began, about a yuppie family in Colorado that decided to adopt a wolf cub. They apparently saw themselves as being very progressive, and spoke proudly about participating in the harmony of nature.

The only problem was, that as that wolf cub grew older, he behaved exactly as any wolf would. One evening, the husband was trying to romance his wife, and the wolf attacked him. All the Windham Hill music and fancy California wines would not tame the wolf, because he was challenging the alpha male of the pack for breeding rights. You can take the wolf out of nature, but you can’t take nature out of the wolf.

Even the most domesticated animal is rarely “tamed”. My wife and I still have scars on our legs from an attack by one of our cats, who suddenly felt that we were threatening one of our other kittens. Her maternal protective instincts kicked in for some reason, and I can still vividly recall the feeling of warm blood pouring down my leg after she had done her business.

A man can certainly be a part of Nature, but he will never conquer it. Nature is not about fairies and buttercups. There will be loss, there will be pain, and there will be death. All of this is a part of how things should rightly be, and each aspect of the fullness of Nature plays its own distinct role. The role of man is to understand himself, to rule himself by his own character, and to die knowing that he has done right.

Now why should I hunt and pursue other things? I speak not of the entitled or the barbaric, some of whom believe that simply killing a wild animal somehow makes them better. I’m speaking about all of us, who are told and tempted to make ourselves better by conquest and consumption.

Pleasure is a fickle prey. I may seek my pleasure where I will, in sex, in alcohol or drugs, in power, or in my reputation. I am not immune because or my background or class. The beast I am after, the one I wish to tame, is actually after me, and it will end up dominating me.

How much of my time and effort have I dedicated to hunting for gratification, for possessions, for position? In turn, how much have I consequently neglected the nurturing of my own soul? Why do I permit myself to be ruled by a desire for the things outside of me, when my complete good is to be found inside of me? As Howard Jones, one of my old musical heroes, said: “Hunt the Self.”

Written in 1/2012

Image: Raden Saleh, Deer Hunt (1846) 


No comments:

Post a Comment