The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 21: Pleasure without Honor



"You purposely misunderstand what I say," he says, "for I too say that no one can live pleasantly unless he lives honorably also, and this cannot be the case with dumb animals who measure the extent of their happiness by that of their food. I loudly and publicly proclaim that what I call a pleasant life cannot exist without the addition of virtue."

Yet who does not know that the greatest fools drink the deepest of those pleasures of yours? Or that vice is full of enjoyments, and that the mind itself suggests to itself many perverted, vicious forms of pleasure?

In the first place arrogance, excessive self-esteem, swaggering precedence over other men, a shortsighted, no, a blind devotion to his own interests, dissolute luxury, excessive delight springing from the most trifling and childish causes.

Also talkativeness, pride that takes a pleasure in insulting others, sloth, and the decay of a dull mind which goes to sleep over itself. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 10 (tr Stewart)

The sensualist may hope that he can have it both ways, and that he can live for pleasure while at the same time being decent. He may even insist, as does Seneca’s adversary, that the only pleasant life would of necessity also have to be a virtuous one.

I can understand such a temptation immediately, because it removes so many of the apparent troubles I face in being happy, especially the perception of conflicting standards. If I am to pursue pleasure, I will also find myself being a good person at the same time.

Centuries later, John Stuart Mill offered a similar argument. Pleasures, he said, should be judged by their quality, and not merely by their quantity. Hence the greatest pleasures will be those that fulfill the higher functions of man, and we will find that true satisfaction proceeds from being thoughtful, refined, and considerate. This is the context of his famous quote, "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.”

At the level of theory, this would hardly make pleasure the highest good anymore, because pleasure is in turn measured and determined by the greater standard of wisdom and virtue. Seneca will return to this aspect of his argument shortly.

For the moment, and at the level of practice, it is surely sufficient to point out that a life of satisfaction will hardly have to be a decent one. Look out into the world, observe your neighbor, read the news, and you will promptly see that pleasure seekers are usually not honorable and decent people at all. Even when the sensualist is intelligent in his pursuit of satisfaction, he simply discovers more clever ways to gratify himself.

I see all the inhumanity around me, and I realize that what most of it has in common is the pursuit of what feels good at the expense of doing good. Arrogance, greed, lust, gluttony, laziness, anger, jealousy, or violence will proceed when I put my pleasure first, and consider other people simply as a means for my pleasure. If I am to estimate everything through my passions, I choose to close myself off to everything except those passions. If I make my reason subservient to my feelings, my mind will not see things are they truly are, but as I wish them to be.

I think of all the times someone has done me wrong, and all the times I have done someone else wrong, and it is a rejection of the good of the person for the fulfillment of my own desire that usually binds them together.

I may put lipstick on a pig. I may add all the appearances of culture, refinement, good manners, and sophisticated tastes, but there is no way to elevate selfish lust. It is vain, arrogant, and thoughtless by its very nature, because it makes the world revolve around my feelings. 

Written in 11/2004


No comments:

Post a Comment