The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 15: Pleasure and Virtue 2



. . . Virtue is a lofty quality, sublime, royal, unconquerable, untiring. Pleasure is low, slavish, weakly, perishable; its haunts and homes are the brothel and the tavern. You will meet virtue in the temple, the marketplace, the senate house, manning the walls, covered with dust, sunburnt, horny-handed. You will find pleasure skulking out of sight, seeking for shady nooks at the public baths, hot chambers, and places which dread the visits of the magistrates, soft, effeminate, reeking of wine and perfumes, pale or perhaps painted and made up with cosmetics.

The highest good is immortal: it knows no ending, and does not admit of either satiety or regret. For a right-thinking mind never alters or becomes hateful to itself, nor do the best things ever undergo any change, but pleasure dies at the very moment when it charms us most. It has no great scope, and therefore it soon cloys and wearies us, and fades away as soon as its first impulse is over.

Indeed, we cannot depend upon anything whose nature is to change. Consequently it is not even possible that there should be any solid substance in that which comes and goes so swiftly, and which perishes by the very exercise of its own functions, for it arrives at a point at which it ceases to be, and even while it is beginning always keeps its end in view.

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 7 (tr Stewart)

I have never been an uptight or prudish person, a moral curmudgeon or an ideological stick in the mud. I do not believe that passions must be denied in order to live my life well, and I am saddened whenever I see people who hate their own appetites, thinking they can only be good if they are cold, joyless, and heartless. I have never agreed with the morality of Immanuel Kant.

I hardly knew what to say when a very proper man once told me that he had many children because it was his duty to God and to society. “What about all the wonderful pleasure there is in making them,” I asked with a grin, “and all the wonderful pleasure there is in sharing your life with them?” He was aghast. Marriage, he told me, was about making more babies, even it was deeply dirty and distasteful to do so.

At the same time, I have little patience for the lecher, the glutton, or the money-grubber. I recently somehow struggled my way through a conversation with a man who offered me a list of all the attractive celebrities he wanted to have sex with. It hardly occurred to him that they might not wish to sleep with him, of course, but I did mange to ask him why this was so desirable. “Hey, I’ll have my fun, even if I have to put a bag over her head, and maybe I’ll get some alimony out of it!” He found it funny, and I found it disgusting.

The good life is never about denying pleasure for its own sake, or seeking pleasure for its own sake. Pleasure is, in itself, indifferent. Some feelings are good, because they follow from good actions, and some feelings are bad, because they follow from bad actions. I am not just a beast, and I am not just a mind in a vat. I am a human being because I can think about what is good, and also understand why some things are indeed worth enjoying.

Seneca may appear a bit uptight here, but hard experience has taught me that he is right on the mark. I distinctly recall my senior year in college, and all of the things I did because they just seemed fun. The shame was not in the fun, but in what I did to get there.

A few weeks before I graduated, I was sitting in the sleaziest bar you can imagine, with all of my supposed friends completely drunk, and the lost love of my life giving an erotic backrub to a complete stranger. I felt sick, not just because I had too much to drink, or because my girl was a tramp, but because I suddenly saw who I was becoming.

I told myself that I would, of course, return to a life of propriety the next day, but that was an illusion. I would simply continue to use and abuse others, not in the crudeness of a watering hole, but in the fancy environment of a professional life. The trappings were different, but the lifestyle was the same.

I always remind myself that there is a difference between love and lust. The former gives, and the latter only takes. The different places and different situations Seneca describes are defined by the presence or absence of love and lust.

The pathetic irony has always been that I may seek to possess, consume, or enjoy, but as soon as I have done so, I immediately want more. Pleasure itself will never satisfy, because it is itself never complete. Lust craves, but Love rests. 

Written in 6/1994

Image: Hieronymus Francken, An Allegory of Love and Lust (late 16th c.)



No comments:

Post a Comment