The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 26: A Cloak for Vices



. . . Let them no longer, then, join incongruous matters together, or connect pleasure with virtue, a mistake whereby they court the worst of men. The reckless profligate, always in liquor and belching out the fumes of wine, believes that he lives with virtue, because he knows that he lives with pleasure, for he hears it said that pleasure cannot exist apart from virtue.

Consequently he dubs his vices with the title of wisdom and parades all that he ought to conceal. So, men are not encouraged by Epicurus to run riot, but the vicious hide their excesses in the lap of philosophy, and flock to the schools in which they hear the praises of pleasure. They do not consider how sober and temperate —for so, by Hercules, I believe it to be—that "pleasure" of Epicurus is, but they rush at his mere name, seeking to obtain some protection and cloak for their vices.

They lose, therefore, the one virtue which their evil life possessed, that of being ashamed of doing wrong: for they praise what they used to blush at, and boast of their vices. Thus modesty can never reassert itself, when shameful idleness is dignified with an honorable name. The reason why that praise which your school lavishes upon pleasure is so hurtful, is because the honorable part of its teaching passes unnoticed, but the degrading part is seen by all.

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 12 (tr Stewart)

Seneca speaks his mind without hesitation, but he is not a close-minded or dismissive philosopher. He still disagrees in principle with the Epicurean theory that happiness is defined by pleasure, but he is also willing to see that Epicurus himself also preached temperance and moderation, and that the greater problem is how others misrepresent and abuse the Epicurean teachings.

It will hardly help us to distinguish right from wrong, without also trying to understand why people choose right from wrong. Seneca considers the sensualists, and he thinks he sees one of the ways their thinking has gone astray.

Perhaps I have been told all of my life that I must somehow be “good”, even if I’ve only been given some vague directions to behave myself and stay out of trouble, while at the same time I’ve been warned that I must not simply do things because they fulfill my appetites.

But now imagine that a philosopher comes along who tells me that virtue is really just whatever can give me the greatest pleasure. It hardly matters that Epicurus also told us to be moderate in our pleasures in order to be happy, because the teaching on the primacy of my appetites now seems to give me the excuse to do whatever I want. I take that first bit, and ignore all the rest.

Before I heard of this new philosophy, I might at least have felt ashamed of my vices, but now I revel in them. I believe I have been liberated from all the old restrictions by the illusion that something must be good only because I desire it. Epicurus may never have intended it, but a corruption of his philosophy has had the effect of making bad men even worse. Whatever there still was of a conscience to provide restraint, however unformed, has now been completely excised.

There have been many times in my life where I’ve been drawn to various forms of sensualism and relativism, usually under the counter-culture umbrella of “If it feels good, do it.” I’ve felt the pressure of uptight moralists many times, the ones who are all just about a heartless conformity to the rules, and I have felt smothered.

Yet I must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There must be freedom and joy in life, but that cannot be at the cost of my sense of responsibility and respect, or by making virtue a cloak for my vices. Things don’t become good because I desire them, but I should rather desire them because they are good, and this is why wisdom and virtue should rule over passion and pleasure. Love is never the same thing as lust. 

Written in 2/2006





No comments:

Post a Comment