The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 11: A Man, Not a Rock



Since I have begun to make my definitions without a too strict adherence to the letter, a man may be called "happy" who, thanks to reason, has ceased either to hope or to fear. But rocks also feel neither fear nor sadness, nor do cattle, yet no one would call those things happy which cannot comprehend what happiness is.

With them you may class men whose dull nature and want of self-knowledge reduces them to the level of cattle, mere animals. There is no difference between the one and the other, because the latter have no reason, while the former have only a corrupted form of it, crooked and cunning to their own hurt. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 5 (tr Stewart)

A rock has a body, like a man, but the body of a rock has no life, no feeling, and no thought. An animal has a body with life and with feeling, like a man, but the life and feeling of an animal is not ordered and guided by understanding.

Now the rock or the beast are hardly flawed in their lack of feeling or understanding, because the presence of awareness or mind is not a part of their natures. We should consider something deficient not when any characteristic is absent, but when a characteristic is absent that rightly ought to be present. A rock and an animal are not made to think, and we do not blame them when they fail to do so. A human being, on the other hand, chooses to cast away his very identity when he chooses not to think.

I must remember, therefore, that the happy life, where I am no longer troubled by hope or by fear, does not proceed from not thinking about hopes and fears, but comes rather from understanding them rightly, and no longer allowing myself to be ruled by them. Once I know what is good for me, I will no longer be burdened by hope for the things beyond my power, and once I know what is bad for me, I will no longer be burdened by fear of the things beyond my power. I have become impervious to both, because I care for neither.

While the rock or the animal simply cannot think at all, a thoughtless man is still able to think, but neglects or perverts that power. I see all the injustice and hurt around me, each and every day, that follows from failing to reflect upon the meaning and purpose of our actions. I am myself delinquent, however, if my judgment is itself condescending or dismissive, because I can be well aware of how and why I have been thoughtless myself. It is indeed wrong for us to be thoughtless, but it is also right for us to then correct this by perceiving the causes.

I have been thoughtless when I have cared for myself at the expense of others. I partly recognize my own worth, but I have divorced it from the good of the whole, and I have removed my nature from all of Nature.

I have been thoughtless when I have defined myself by all the circumstances around me, and not by my own choices and actions. I have placed good and evil in everything on the outside, and I have conversely neglected to respect myself.

I have been thoughtless when I have grown tired of effort, disappointment, or loss, and I choose to simply shut myself down. When feeling and thinking seem to hurt, it may appear that it is best not to feel or think at all.

In whatever way my decision has been disordered, by dismissing others, by dismissing myself, or by dismissing both myself and others, I have abandoned a necessary reflection on who I am, and why I am here. This is the greatest of all human losses, because it is the loss of humanity itself.

When I am no longer thinking about how I am living, there is no longer any worth in living. It is only the recovery of consciousness that will restore life. 

Written in 6/2009

Image: Didacus Valades, "The Great Chain of Being", from Rhetorica Christiana (1579) 



No comments:

Post a Comment