The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 31: That Proverbial Cake



"But what," asks our adversary, "is there to hinder virtue and pleasure being combined together, and a highest good being thus formed, so that honor and pleasure may be the same thing?"

Because nothing except what is honorable can form a part of honor, and the highest good would lose its purity if it were to see within itself anything unlike its own better part.

Even the joy which arises from virtue, although it is a good thing, yet is not a part of absolute good, any more than cheerfulness or peace of mind, which are indeed good things, but which merely follow the highest good, and do not contribute to its perfection, although they are generated by the noblest causes. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 15 (tr Stewart)

There are few things more tempting, and few things we will dedicate ourselves to more desperately and frantically, than trying to have it both ways. Being told that we can’t have our cake and eat it too seems to make us uncomfortable and squirmy. I have heard dozens of ridiculous semantic contortions that vainly try to explain away the logical principle of non-contradiction, and thereby insist that my cake can be both on my plate and in my belly at the same time.

I suspect that sometimes we know quite well that we cannot have or be two conflicting things, but we may desire the reality of one of them and merely the appearance of the other. I know that this is what I have meant when I think I can give equal value to both virtue and pleasure. Give me the gratification, but make it look like I’m being noble in getting it.

I cannot treat virtue and pleasure as being equally good, or as always being in agreement with one another, or as one and the same thing. Virtue, by its very definition as the excellence of our actions, is always unconditionally good, while pleasure is only conditionally good, dependent upon the value of the action from which it proceeds.  I have never gone wrong in my life by doing the right thing, but I have often gone wrong in my life by craving the wrong thing. That which is superior cannot be measured by what is inferior.

Living well may indeed give me a feeling of approval, and I have often found that the pleasure that can follows from a virtue is far more satisfying than the pleasure that can follow from a vice. This seems quite fitting, because the former is about our human fulfillment, while the latter is about our emptiness through dependence.

Yet as soon as I treat the pleasure as an end itself, and not merely as an associated consequence, I have already cast aside that very act of moral fulfillment. I cannot be doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons, or aim for what is good in itself when all I really seek is what feels good to me.  

There are many other things in life that can be good, but as a consequence and not as the cause. The relative always flows out from the absolute. I am not a good man because I am cheerful, friendly, or mild-mannered, but I will certainly be cheerful, friendly, and mild-mannered if I am a good man. I don’t become kind if someone respects me, but I can be respected if I am kind. Being wealthy won’t make me fair, but my fairness could make me wealthy.

In the relationship of virtue and pleasure, one will have to lead, and the other will have to follow. I often think of the passage from Matthew 6:24:

No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Written in 1/2012


No comments:

Post a Comment