The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 16: The Guide and the Companion



What answer are we to make to the reflection that pleasure belongs to good and bad men alike, and that bad men take as much delight in their shame as good men in noble things?

This was why the ancients bade us lead the highest, not the most pleasant life, in order that pleasure might not be the guide but the companion of a right-thinking and honorable mind; for it is Nature whom we ought to make our guide: let our reason watch her, and be advised by her.

To live happily, then, is the same thing as to live according to Nature: what this may be, I will explain. If we guard the endowments of the body and the advantages of Nature with care and fearlessness, as things soon to depart and given to us only for a day; if we do not fall under their dominion, nor allow ourselves to become the slaves of what is no part of our own being; if we assign to all bodily pleasures and external delights the same position which is held by auxiliaries and light-armed troops in a camp; if we make them our servants, not our masters—then and then only are they of value to our minds. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 8 (tr Stewart)

Again, happiness isn’t measured by pleasure or pain, because both the good man and the wicked man will each feel different sorts of pleasures, for different sorts of reasons. Seneca understands that the very exercise of philosophy will collapse if there is no higher way to determine whether feelings are good or bad.

There are many things in life that will always be there with us, but some of them will accompany us as companions, while others will lead us a guides. Some will walk next to us, and others will go out ahead. A life lived in harmony with Nature will be one where these different roles are rightly distinguished, where I allow my reason to be my guide, and where my pleasures are my companions. It will be the judgment of the former that will determine the benefit of the latter.

So it must be in all things, such that all of the conditions of my life are directed by the guidance of the mind. I may receive a pleasure of the body, or some wealth, or the esteem of others, but I will know what to make of these changing situations if I know where I should be going, and how I should be living. Fortune is fickle, and as soon as I depend upon her, I am enslaved to her. Nature offers a deeper permanence of meaning to all of these things that are passing, and the apprehension of Nature provides a constancy of purpose.

For many years, I enjoyed the pleasures of cigarettes, because I craved the numbing relaxation that came along with the consumption of nicotine. It didn’t take me long to perceive how this was harmful to both my body and to my mind. The constant shortness of breath that soon became a ritual of morning hacking, and the mental obsession with getting to that next smoke caused me hurt, but I could only think of being consumed by that brief feeling where the world cut into me just a little but less. It was killing my body, and enslaving my thinking, because I was making pleasure my master, and not my companion.

No amount of brute willpower or clever cures ever really worked for me, until I had the sense to apply Stoic practice to my daily addiction. After many years of wallowing, I stopped smoking cigarettes from one day to another, and the only thing that worked for me was a form of making my reason lead the way, and letting my feelings walk alongside.

After a prudent pause, I did something that flew in the face of contemporary fashion, and I took an interest in the art of smoking a pipe. Now our unbridled hatred of tobacco tells us that the evil weed must be removed entirely from society, but the untrendy Stoic in me thought of it a bit differently.

I found that I could actually enjoy the occasional pipe of fine tobacco, not greedily drawing the smoke into my lungs, but sipping at it in contemplation. For me, this was no different than the man who can find enjoyment in a single tumbler of fine whiskey, and who does not need to guzzle a whole bottle of rotgut.

Nothing given by Nature is evil, but only our abuse of things is evil. What makes moderation so distinct from excess or denial is the understanding of whether my mind rules a pleasure, or whether the pleasure rules me. It is no different with, food, drink, sex, money, fame, or power.

I would never suggest simply replacing cigarettes with a pipe as a remedy, because fixing ourselves has nothing to do with how much of something we enjoy, or of what certain kind, or in what specific manner. It has everything to do with discerning the greater and the lesser. 

Written in 2/2007


No comments:

Post a Comment