The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, January 22, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 32: Liberty Under the Yoke



. . . Whoever on the other hand forms an alliance, and that, too, a one-sided one, between virtue and pleasure, clogs whatever strength the one may possess by the weakness of the other, and sends liberty under the yoke, for liberty can only remain unconquered as long as she knows nothing more valuable than herself.

For he begins to need the help of Fortune, which is the most utter slavery. His life becomes anxious, full of suspicion, timorous, fearful of accidents, waiting in agony for critical moments of time. You do not afford virtue a solid immovable base if you bid it stand on what is unsteady, and what can be so unsteady as dependence on mere chance, and the vicissitudes of the body and of those things that act on the body?

How can such a man obey God and receive everything which comes to pass in a cheerful spirit, never complaining of fate, and putting a good construction upon everything that befalls him, if he be agitated by the petty pin-pricks of pleasures and pains?

A man cannot be a good protector of his country, a good avenger of her wrongs, or a good defender of his friends, if he is inclined to pleasures. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 15 (tr Stewart)

The liberty Seneca speaks of is the power to rule oneself, that foundation upon which the whole structure of Stoic happiness is built. To be genuinely free is not to assert the power of the will over the world, but to take complete responsibility for our choices in the world.

The happy man should not expect to shape things in his own image, and Fortune will have her own way with what is under her authority. The happy man will rather improve himself regarding what is under his own authority, in the way that he judges, chooses, and acts. To permit my own happiness to depend upon my circumstances is to make those circumstances more valuable than myself, whether it is in the pursuit of pleasure, or of fame, or of power. These things are not mine, they do not concern me, and I enslave myself to them whenever I choose to pursue them. My weakness is then in the willful surrender of my self-reliance.

If I wish to build upon something unmoving, I need only look to Nature, and how she asks me to live within her order. I often notice how our frustration and complaints at the unfair ways of the world seem to become more exaggerated as we become more spoiled and entitled. This should be a clear sign that the things we think are gifts to our freedom are actually only burdens to our happiness. I need to change the focus of my attention.

Growing up in New England, I was baffled by the many luxurious vacation houses built on beaches that would soon be washed away by the elements. When I moved west, I noticed how greedy developers built family homes that soon succumbed to flooding or plunged into sinkholes. There is then often outrage and blame, even though people of common sense had known for centuries not to build on such poor land.

As one of my old philosophy professors, known for his especially painful sense of humor, would often say, “The yokes on you.”

Written in 1/2012


No comments:

Post a Comment