The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 63: Pimples and Ulcers



. . . But have you leisure to peer into other men's evil deeds and to sit in judgment upon anybody? To ask how it is that this philosopher has so roomy a house, or that one has so good a dinner? Do you look at other people's pimples while yon yourselves are covered with countless ulcers? This is as though one who was eaten up by the mange were to point with scorn at the moles and warts on the bodies of the handsomest men.

Reproach Plato with having sought for money, reproach Aristotle with having obtained it, Democritus with having disregarded it, Epicurus with having spent it. Cast Phaedrus and Alcibiades in my own teeth, you who reach the height of enjoyment whenever you get an opportunity of imitating our vices!

Why do you not rather cast your eyes around yourselves at the ills that tear you to pieces on every side, some attacking you from without, some burning in your own chests? However little you know your own place, mankind has not yet come to such a place that you can have leisure to wag your tongues to the reproach of your betters.

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 27 (tr Stewart)

It often seems so easy to diminish others and to elevate ourselves, perhaps because we think the diminishing is the very means for the elevating. I know this not simply from observing others, but from being brutally honest about myself.

We rarely recognize our own hypocrisy, because we ignorantly but genuinely work from the premise that there are indeed different rules for ourselves and for others. We might feel ashamed to say this to others, but we hardly feel guilty about thinking it to ourselves.

If I have already begun by thinking that my own satisfaction is the measure of all things, I will never recognize myself in others, or be called to serve them, but I will rather see them only as a means to my own end. You must make yourself better,  but I was already good to begin with. The pimple on your face is obviously an outrage, even as the ulcer on my own is actually quite handsome, thank you.

I can only overcome such a contradiction of character if I grasp the role of human nature within all of Nature. My own humanity, as a being made to know the truth and to love what is good, is never inherently in conflict with the humanity of others, which, for all of our different circumstances, is essentially the same as mine.

I will only cure myself when I look at another, and I see myself. I can only love when I am willing to humbly give of myself for others. I can only be just if I am able to offer respect no differently than I ask it to be given.

We often hear that we should not judge, but I suggest that we must rightly distinguish. To make a judgment is to determine the true from the false, and to more specifically make a judgment about morals is to determine the right from the wrong. Remove these, and you remove the very guides that inform all human actions. Relativism is an unintelligible excuse for neglecting objective accountability.

Instead, we abuse judgment when we pursue it with a double standard, and when we pursue it with malice. By all means, judge the good from the bad, but do not judge others any differently than you judge yourself. By all means, separate right from wrong, but do not correct others to make them look worse, but so that you might help them to become better. There is a world of difference between the man who judges with condemnation and the man who judges with compassion.

Above all else, I must never consider my responsibility for another before I have mastered my responsibility for myself. Specks in the eye or the temptations of adultery can certainly be harmful things, but they are hardly as harmful as when I expect others to do what I won’t do for myself.

Written in 4/2010

Image: Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Christ and the Woman Taken in Adultery (1565)


No comments:

Post a Comment