The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 55: The Student and the Master



. . . You have, therefore, no grounds for misunderstanding the honorable, brave, and spirited language that you hear from those who are studying wisdom, and first of all observe this, that a student of wisdom is not the same thing as a man who has made himself perfect in wisdom.

The former will say to you, "In my talk I express the most admirable sentiments, yet I am still weltering amid countless ills. You must not force me to act up to my rules; at the present time I am forming myself, molding my character, and striving to rise myself to the height of a great example. If I should ever succeed in carrying out all that I have set myself to accomplish, you may then demand that my words and deeds should correspond."

But he who has reached the summit of human perfection will deal otherwise with you, and will say, "In the first place, you have no business to allow yourself to sit in judgment upon your betters."

I have already obtained one proof of my righteousness, in having become an object of dislike to bad men. However, to give you a rational answer, which I grudge to no man, listen to what I declare, and at what price I value all things.

Riches, I say, are not a good thing, for if they were, they would make men good. Now since that which is found even among bad men cannot be termed good, I do not allow them to be called so.

Nevertheless, I admit that they are desirable and useful and contribute great comforts to our lives.

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 24 (tr Stewart)

Those who despise a life measured by virtue will immediately condemn those of us who struggle to live well. They will attack our weakness, and not the strength of what we seek. They will tell us how often we fail, while ignoring the very thing we are working toward. They revel in our imperfection, even as we try to make ourselves better.

To say that the goal cannot be achieved because I have not yet achieved it is much like saying that a journey is pointless because it has not yet been completed. Do not be deceived. Those who discourage you from what is true and good in life do so precisely because they are convinced that the things they possess define them. They mock you because they think life is about wealth and recognition, they degrade you because they think that life is about power and influence, and they mistreat you because they think that life is about conflict and conquest.

They are misguided, because they assume that wealth or power are themselves good things, failing to see that they can only become good when directed by wisdom and virtue. Money can be very harmful, since it can be abused, but virtue is always beneficial, since it always gives right purpose to what is used.

Do not fight on their terms. Love them, and teach them what is right, in word and by example. You will often think that you have failed, but you have already succeeded within yourself just by acting with charity in the face of hatred.

I have absolutely no right to consider myself better than any other man, because I am not yet a good man. I hope and pray that I may one day be so. In the meantime, I would prefer assistance to rejection. I am learning, step by painful step, to extract myself from the illusion that being rich in the world will make me good in my soul.

Yet I have known others who are indeed wise and good, and they are priceless examples to follow. I have often found such people in the most unlikely of places. They are rarely recognized for what they are, because most of us are still working from a clouded perspective on life. You will see no glamor, no sales pitch, and no vanity. You will see only a humble and faithful commitment to character. You will see someone who cares about you for your sake, and nothing more.

Don’t condemn the student because he is not yet a master. The student is striving to be a master, simply by learning to rule himself. The student will know he has become a master when he sees everything through the eyes of Nature, not through the demands of Fortune. Then he may rightly say that he is better. 

Written in 5/2004


No comments:

Post a Comment