The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 45: Being Agreeable



“. . . I will be agreeable with my friends, gentle and mild to my foes. I will grant pardon before I am asked for it, and will meet the wishes of honorable men half way.

“I will bear in mind that the world is my native city, that its governors are the gods, and that they stand above and around me, criticizing whatever I do or say.

“Whenever either Nature demands my breath again, or reason bids me to dismiss it, I will quit this life, calling all to witness that I have loved a good conscience, and good pursuits, and that no one's freedom, my own least of all, has been impaired through me.”

He who sets up these as the rules of his life will soar aloft and strive to make his way to the gods: in truth, even if he fails, he fails in a high endeavor. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 20 (tr Stewart)

Think of how many times we have all heard that phrase, or used it ourselves: “Well, I’m a good person. Or at least I try to be.” In and of itself, it seems a perfectly decent thing to say. I have often wondered, however, what we all really mean when we say it.

For as long as I can remember, others have told me that I must be kind, caring, nice, respectful, or agreeable. As the admittedly sort of annoying fellow who has always asked “why?” as long as he could speak, I was regularly told that this was simply the proper and acceptable thing to do. “Be nice” becomes something we say quite often, but we don’t always reflect upon it. It also saddens me to see that we don’t even do it nearly as often as we might think.

I always feel like a terrible curmudgeon when I ask that “why?” question, though I do it not because I want people to be horrible to one another, but because I am looking for something to give us a good reason to love one another, something that will help us stay the course whenever difficulty may arise. For myself, I know I have struggled between being seen as good in order to get what I want from others, and being good to others regardless of how it is seen.

I often distinguish between two different senses of being “agreeable”, and it boils down to a very real difference between abuse and respect. I intend no exaggeration, but I do believe that if I act toward others with the profit of my own circumstances in mind, treating them as a means to my end, then I am a player, a manipulator, and yes, even an abuser. If I act toward others with their own good in mind, treating them as ends in themselves, then I may actually be practicing genuine respect.

Though I am, of course, only playing within the context of the English word, there is a contrast between being agreeable so that others will agree with me, and being agreeable because I am agreeing with Nature.

To be a good person, I must understand that my fellows are made just like me, sharing the same purpose, and worthy of the same dignity. I won’t always come across as likeable when I desire their happiness, but I should always seek what is good for them, however that may change my own selfish utility.

Accordingly, there is no “us” versus “them” in the order of Nature. There is only “all of us”. Whether we choose to accept it or not, we are all here in the service of Nature, and of the Divine that orders Nature.

To remember my mortality, memento mori, is a wonderful aid in this endeavor, because it isn’t all about me, but about how I, as one part, can help to serve the whole, the fulfillment of all the parts. I will end when Nature calls me back, or when my conscience tells me it is right to give myself for another. I have begun to expect no other reward beyond having run the race as best I can. 

Written in 10/2016

Image: The Buddha calms the enraged elephant Nalagiri with his kindness and compassion.


No comments:

Post a Comment