The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, February 19, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 60: Principles and Prejudices



. . . The great Socrates, or anyone else who had the same superiority to and power to withstand the things of this life, would say, “I have no more fixed principle than that of not altering the course of my life to suit your prejudices. You may pour your accustomed talk upon me from all sides. I shall not think that you are abusing me, but that you are merely wailing like poor little infants.”

This is what the man will say who possesses wisdom, whose mind, being free from vices, bids him to reproach others, not because he hates them, but in order to improve them.

And to this he will add, "Your opinion of me affects me with pain, not for my own sake but for yours, because to hate perfection and to assail virtue is in itself a resignation of all hope of doing well. You do me no harm; neither do men harm the gods when they overthrow their altars. But it is clear that your intention is an evil one and that you will wish to do harm even where you are not able.

“I bear with your prating in the same spirit in which Jupiter, best and greatest, bears with the idle tales of the poets, one of whom represents him with wings, another with horns, another as an adulterer staying out all night, another as dealing harshly with the gods, another as unjust to men, another as the seducer of noble youths whom he carries off by force, and those, too, his own relatives, another as a parricide and the conqueror of another's kingdom, and that of his father's.”

The only result of such tales is that men feel less shame at committing sin if they believe the gods to be guilty of such actions. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 26 (tr Stewart)

A life dedicated to pleasure and position, which is of necessity a life that is also subservient to what is outside of us, will be a life of conformity. Once I begin, in even the most cursory manner, to think in terms of Nature instead of Fortune, it becomes apparent how often principle gives way to prejudice. Instead of asking how to do something in a way that is right, we assume something is right because of the way it is already done. The surrender to fashion means the surrender of reason, and it will immediately dismiss what is uncommon and unpopular.

To borrow a modern phrase, don’t take it personally. Some people will try to ridicule anything that is different from their established orthodoxy, and degrading others is the only way they know to make themselves feel better. Their ignorance and malice does not have to become my ignorance and malice.

For some, a correction or a rebuke can only be an insult. I, however, can choose to help, not to harm, and to allow myself to be helped in turn, not to feel resentment. I can let an argument be weighed by what is sound, not by what is preferred.

I know I am starting down the right path when the pain I feel no longer comes from my own loss, but from the loss of others. Socrates once said that a better man can not be harmed by a worse man, because even as the worse man increases his own vice, he can never take away the virtue of a better man. I should worry less about how others are vainly trying to hurt me, and far more about helping them not to hurt themselves.

Some will try to blame what is Divine, however it may be understood, for their own weaknesses. If they only reflected upon this clearly for a moment, they would understand that the Divine is, by its very definition, that which is perfect and lacking in nothing, the source by which all other things become good. God cannot be hurt by insult or abuse, and whenever we reject God to excuse ourselves from accountability we only insult or abuse ourselves.

In like manner, the man who seeks to be god-like, for all of his flaws, does not need to fear the malice of others. He should continually improve himself, and wish to see others transform their own hatred into love.

Written in 1/2002

Image: Josef Abel, Socrates Teaching His Disciples (c. 1801)


No comments:

Post a Comment