The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 56: No Unlucky Days



Learn, then, since we both agree that riches are desirable, what my reason is for counting them among good things, and in what respects I should behave differently to you if I possessed them.

Place me as master in the house of a very rich man. Place me where gold and silver plate is used for the commonest purposes. I shall not think more of myself because of things, which even though they are in my house, they are yet not a part of me.

Take me away to the wooden bridge and put me down there among the beggars. I shall not despise myself because I am sitting among those who hold out their hands for alms. For what can the lack of a piece of bread matter to one who does not lack the power of dying?

Well, then? I prefer the magnificent house to the beggar's bridge. Place me among magnificent furniture and all the appliances of luxury. I shall not think myself any happier because my cloak is soft, because my guests rest upon purple.

Change the scene. I shall be no more miserable if my weary head rests upon a bundle of hay, or if I lie upon a cushion from the circus, with all the stuffing on the point of coming out through its patches of threadbare cloth.

Well, then? I prefer, as far as my feelings go, to show myself in public dressed in woolen and in robes of office, rather than with naked or half-covered shoulders. I should like every day's business to turn out just as I wish it to do, and new congratulations to be constantly following upon the former ones.

Yet I will not pride myself upon this. Change all this good fortune for its opposite, let my spirit be distracted by losses, grief, various kinds of attacks. Let no hour pass without some dispute. I shall not on this account, though beset by the greatest miseries, call myself the most miserable of beings, nor shall I curse any particular day, for I have taken care to have no unlucky days. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 25 (tr Stewart)

I must admit that I sometimes feel baffled by Seneca on virtue and fortune. I know that I must be indifferent to wealth, but I also know that I may prefer it, and it seems strange that I can both despise and desire one and the same thing. It isn’t just the terminology that can get in the way, but a sense that the entire process of moral judgment is a precarious balancing act between conscience and convenience.

I then recognize, however, that this appearance of tension arises only because I am still confused about the nature of what is valuable. Virtue and fortune do not differ in their degree, but they are rather completely different in kind, and if I think that I’m doing well by caring a bit more about my character, and bit less about my possessions, I’m actually well off the mark. I should rather care only for my character, and nothing at all for my possessions. Now my circumstances will become useful or preferable only if they can assist my practice of virtue, and it is my proper use of them that will give them any value. The means must be totally subservient to the end.

My feelings may prefer wealth to poverty, or ease to difficulty, but this should in no way affect my happiness, which relies exclusively upon my own actions. If I believe I am slightly happier because I have a good job, or slightly more miserable because I am sick, then I misunderstand what it means to be happy, and I am mixing up preference and principle.

My happiness will depend upon whether I care about the right things. This revolves around understanding that my nature is defined by what I do, not by what happens to me. As soon as I can grasp this, I will no longer worry about my fortune for its own sake, and I will no longer try balancing conscience and convenience. I will hardly be miserable if I lose something that doesn’t matter to me.

For most of us, trying to give value to both virtue and circumstance results in an unfitting compromise, and quite often means the surrender of the former to the latter. There no can be no half measures. Stoic self-reliance will only seem heartless if our hearts are in the wrong place, and continue to love the wrong things.

I can then begin to realize that no circumstance is in itself good or bad, unless I make it so, and that no day is lucky or unlucky, because luck does not determine me, but rather I determine what I will do with luck. The Universe is hardly random, of course, since everything in Nature is in its place for a purpose, and what we call luck is really only in our perception. I will learn to see that any luck, any circumstance, whether or not I may prefer it, is always an opportunity for benefit. Not all luck will increase my fortune, but it can always be a means to improve my character. 

Written in 6/2004

Image: Fortune and Her Wheel, Illustration from Boccaccio’s On the Fates of Famous Men (1467)



No comments:

Post a Comment