The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Seneca, On the Happy Life 61: Silence over Show



. . . But although this conduct of yours does not hurt me, yet, for your own sake, I advise you, respect virtue. Believe those who having long followed her call, that what they follow is a thing of might, and daily appears mightier.

Reverence her as you would the gods, and reverence her followers as you would the priests of the gods, and whenever any mention of sacred writings is made, favor us with your tongues. Favor is not derived, as most people imagine, from applause, but commands silence, so that divine service may be performed without being interrupted by any words of evil omen. It is much more necessary that you should be ordered to do this so that whenever utterance is made by that oracle, you may listen to it with attention and in silence.

Whenever anyone beats a sistrum, pretending to do so by divine command, anyone proficient in grazing his own skin covers his arms and shoulders with blood from light cuts, anyone crawls on his knees howling along the street, or any old man clad in linen comes forth in daylight with a lamp and laurel branch and cries out that one of the gods is angry, you crowd round him and listen to his words, and each increases the other's dumb amazement by declaring him to be divinely inspired!

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 26 (tr Stewart)

There are times for making a joyful sound, but I have always thought that respect is best practiced in silence. This is not just a question of good manners, but rather an expression of humility in the face of what we hold dear. If I am full of sound and fury, I hear only my own words, and I draw attention only to my own spectacle. I am hardly pointing to what is greater than myself, and I am only trying to make myself greater. I am unable to listen over my own noise.

Virtue is worthy of reverence, because it is the path to our happiness. Virtue is also divine, not only in a poetic sense, but by participating in the unity of all that is good. Man improves himself through his own judgment and action, by so doing he plays his special part in the perfection of the whole of Nature, and thereby he shows his reverence to Providence.

We will recognize those who seek virtue by the way they empty themselves of all diversion, just as we will recognize those who shun virtue by the way they fill themselves with vanity. Part of my daily struggle is to listen more than I speak, to give more than I receive, and to show respect instead of demanding it.

Making a show of things can so easily become an act of arrogance. When I was in college, I remember that far too many of the students in the Honors Program were less interested in learning, and more interested in constantly speaking about how much they already knew. When I went to work, I saw the domination of those gifted at glorifying themselves. When I have tried to worship, I see far more performance than I do piety.

I have already wasted too much of my life deluded by appearances, and neglecting the improvement of my own heart and mind. I thought for too long that beautiful things, things worthy of admiration, had to be exciting to the senses and enticing to the passions. I was ignoring that a person is beautiful because of character, not because of display.

Practicing the art of silent reverence can be quite demanding in a world so full of flashy images, constantly telling us to pose and consume, but I find more and more that I can’t love virtue if I am distracted by mere impressions. 

Written in 1/2002

Image: Eugene Delacroix, Lycurgus Consulting the Pythia (c. 1840) 



No comments:

Post a Comment