The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 1.1



From my grandfather, Verus, I learned good morals and the government of my temper.

From the reputation and remembrance of my father, modesty and a manly character.

From my mother, piety and beneficence, and abstinence, not only from evil deeds, but even from evil thoughts; and further, simplicity in my way of living, far removed from the habits of the rich.

From my great-grandfather, not to have frequented public schools, and to have had good teachers at home, and to know that on such things a man should spend liberally.

From my governor, to be neither of the green nor of the blue party at the games in the Circus, nor a partisan either of the Parmularius or the Scutarius at the gladiators' fights; from him too I learned endurance of labor, and to want little, and to work with my own hands, and not to meddle with other people's affairs, and not to be ready to listen to slander.

From Diognetus, not to busy myself about trifling things, and not to give credit to what was said by miracle-workers and jugglers about incantations and the driving away of daemons and such things; and not to breed quails for fighting, nor to give myself up passionately to such things; and to endure freedom of speech; and to have become intimate with philosophy; and to have been a hearer, first of Bacchius, then of Tandasis and Marcianus; and to have written dialogues in my youth; and to have desired a plank bed and skin, and whatever else of the kind belongs to the Greek discipline.

From Rusticus I received the impression that my character required improvement and discipline; and from him I learned not to be led astray to sophistic emulation, nor to writing on speculative matters, nor to delivering little hortatory orations, nor to showing myself off as a man who practices much discipline, or does benevolent acts in order to make a display. . . .

From Apollonius I learned freedom of will and undeviating steadiness of purpose; and to look to nothing else, not even for a moment, except to reason; and to be always the same, in sharp pains, on the occasion of the loss of a child, and in long illness. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 (tr Long)

We still thank those who have helped us when we receive honors, and we still tend to write dedications for books or records, but we usually don’t do so with half as much commitment and reflection as Marcus Aurelius. They will cut you off after a few too many seconds at the Academy Awards, but Aurelius fills the entire first book of the Meditations with his thanks. We think it enough to thank a spouse for just being “patient” in the preface, but Aurelius tells us so much more, about how and why these many people helped him to build his character.

It is interesting to look up who these people were, but perhaps even more interesting to consider why he is grateful to them. I may thank my manager for getting me the best contract, or my business professor for teaching me the art of the deal, or my law partner for helping me win all of those lucrative cases. Aurelius is not interested in the acquisition of wealth, power, or fame, but admires others for the wisdom and virtue they modeled. This isn’t about recognizing those who were there while he became a big man, but those who helped him to become a good man.

Only the first few entries are listed above, but they already give a powerful sense of the man who ruled an empire and slept on a board.

He hardly sounds like a wealthy heir when he speaks of what his family offered him: good morals, temperance, modesty, manly character, piety, beneficence, abstinence from evil deeds and evil thoughts, and simplicity of living far from the habits of the rich. I smile when I see him grateful for an education at home, something he does think is well worth the expense.

Some of the teachers who had a great influence on him, Diognetus, Apollonius, and Rusticus, encouraged the pursuit of a philosophical life: to follow reason over superstition, to dedicate oneself to self-discipline over the love of appearances, and to choose steadfastness of purpose in all circumstances.

Now I have been around the block a few times, and I have seen people mouth all the right words, while still doing all the wrong things; those are, in fact, usually the most successful kind of criminals and tyrants. If I have any doubts, however, about whether Marcus Aurelius will put his money where his mouth is, I need only read on in the Meditations.

He was a man with faults like anyone else, but what sets him apart is his commitment to a life of constant personal improvement, and a perspective on the value of all human effort within the harmony of the entire Universe. I believe there is a good reason he was the last of Rome’s “Five Good Emperors”, men who tried to exercise power with virtue.

Written in 12/1999

Image: Portrait of Marcus Aurelius as a Boy (c. 140 AD) 




No comments:

Post a Comment