The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 9.5


Let a man, then, obtain as many books as he wants, but none for show.

"It is more respectable," say you, "to spend one's money on such books than on vases of Corinthian brass and paintings."

Not so: everything that is carried to excess is wrong. What excuses can you find for a man who is eager to buy bookcases of ivory and citrus wood, to collect the works of unknown or discredited authors, and who sits yawning amid so many thousands of books, whose backs and titles please him more than any other part of them?

As I grow older, I become ever more conscious of the confusion between appearance and reality. As we place greater value on externals over internals, we also focus our attention on the impressions of things instead of the nature of things. We settle only for how it feels, failing to look through at what it is. Passion ceases to be tempered by reason.

It saddens me when I see the disconnect in others, and it shames me when I see it within myself. The temptation runs deep, if for no other reason than how the inaction of conformity seems so much more comfortable than the action of reflection.

I detect even the odd contradiction of following a certain image that vainly insists upon following no image at all, of buying and selling masks of manufactured individuality, of caring that others take notice of how we pretend not to care what they think of us.

It would be easy to blame a love of wealth for all this, but I suspect it goes far deeper than just giving everything a dollar value. Money can itself be yet another convenient veneer to cover up any natural worth. No, I wonder if the root cause is a fear of genuinely being ourselves, sheepishly expressed in becoming whatever we believe the fashion of the hour tells us we must be.

Such posing and posturing can be found in all aspects of life, even as I have personally experienced it most closely in the field of education. Some people promote their images through the lure of sex, and others through the intoxication of power, and yet others through the illusion of insight. For those who are impressed by the trappings of culture and refinement, clever phrases can be as seductive as pouty lips.

If I wish to only appear as thoughtful and profound, books can become the perfect accessory. I need not read them, of course, only display them, and I have then presented a package of how I would like to be perceived. It can be as simple as having a collection of poems casually peeking out of my bag, or as grand as filling an entire room with trophies of intellectual status.

The next time I open a book, let me be certain I am not intent on being admired. The next time I add a volume to my library, let my concern be for how understanding its contents might improve my soul, not for how showing it off will increase my reputation. 

Written in 10/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment