The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 9.1


Chapter 9

We shall be pleased with this measure of wealth if we have previously taken pleasure in thrift, without which no riches are sufficient, and with which none are insufficient, especially as the remedy is always at hand, and poverty itself by calling in the aid of thrift can convert itself into riches.

Let us accustom ourselves to set aside mere outward show, and to measure things by their uses, not by their ornamental trappings.

Let our hunger be tamed by food, our thirst quenched by drinking, our lust confined within needful bounds.

Let us learn to use our limbs, and to arrange our dress and way of life according to what was approved of by our ancestors, not in imitation of new-fangled models.

Let us learn to increase our continence, to repress luxury, to set bounds to our pride, to assuage our anger, to look upon poverty without prejudice, to practice thrift, albeit many are ashamed to do so, to apply cheap remedies to the wants of nature, to keep all undisciplined hopes and aspirations as it were under lock and key, and to make it our business to get our riches from ourselves and not from Fortune.

To rule over something else, I must first manage to rule myself; to be a master over much, I must first learn to be totally content with little.

Even as the common wisdom, which really shows itself to be a common ignorance, would have it that a man becomes more by having more, I should consider rather that a man becomes more by being more. If I look at the alternatives clearly, it becomes apparent that I will always find benefit if I first nurture my own character, and I will always do harm whenever I neglect it.

If I am nothing in myself, then you could take away anything else, and I would be quite miserable. You could give also me everything else, and I would still be miserable.

If I am something in myself, then you could give me anything else, and I would be quite happy. You could also take away everything else, and I would still be happy.

The best training for happiness may well be to receive fewer windfalls from Fortune, since by these means I can become at peace with being self-reliant. After that, the rest can take care of itself.

Could it be done in reverse, from the outside in? A better man than me might manage to resist the lure of making his life contingent upon conditions, but I know I would likely botch it up. The cure for dependency sometimes begins with some cold turkey.

Of all the classical virtues, we will still praise a sort of wisdom, at least in the sense that we think it good to figure out how things work.

We will still praise a sort of justice, at least in the sense of raising our fists to get what we think we deserve.

We will still praise a sort of fortitude, at least in the sense of puffing up our chests against our enemies.

But when was the last time you saw something approximating temperance? I don’t mean in the sense of dieting to look attractive, or being picky about sex to avoid a disease, or adjusting our incomes to save on taxes. These aren’t even approximations; they are just mockeries, ordered to giving up one pleasure for the sake of another.

No, I mean someone who says, and actually means, something like this:

“I will surrender all that stuff out there, so that I can try to become stronger in here.”

No more mouthing off. Remain silent and be at peace.

No more pigging out. Fuel the body, do not feed gratification.

No more lusting. Only loving.

No more appearances. Only content.

Replace being moved with moving. Let the head guide the gut, not the gut enslave the head. Expect less, and then give more. Discover beauty in the dignity of the person, instead of reducing the person to a tool.

Become rich in the soul by gently but firmly reminding the body to stay poor in its rightful place.

Written in 10/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment