The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 9.5


To others who were in poor health as the result of overindulgence and high living, exile has been a source of strength because they were forced to live a more manly life.

We even know of some who were cured of chronic ailments in exile, as for instance, in our day Spartiacus, the Lacedaemonian, who suffered long from a weak chest and for this reason was often ill from high living, but when he stopped living a life of luxury, he ceased to be ill.

They say that others addicted to high living have got rid of gout, although they were previously completely bed-ridden by the disease—people whom exile compelled to become accustomed to living more simply and by this very thing were brought back to health.

Thus it appears that by treating them better than they treat themselves, exile helps rather than hinders health both of body and of spirit.

The Stoic will never claim that the health of the body is an end in itself, though when guided by virtue it may certainly be a means for happiness, and it can be a mark of character when it proceeds from the health of the soul.

Sometimes a change of surroundings, so jarring in other ways, can breathe new life into tired and worn flesh and bones, not just because the air might be crisper or the sun brighter, but because right thinking will encourage right living.

Removed from the ritual of bad habits, torn away from all the old temptations, and given an opportunity to build new routines, the heart and mind have a chance to reset themselves. It can be quite amazing how deeply the body can heal along with the soul.

I would regularly scoff at all that advice about health flowing from the inside out, or what the self-help gurus call the power of positive thinking, until I saw it at work within myself.

Clinging in my mind to certain places and certain faces, I would focus only on the dark and painful aspects of my world. I was shutting down my capacity to judge soundly or to love joyfully, and my physical health would shut down right along with it.

Now people might scold you about eating poorly, or drinking to excess, or laying around in bed all day, but they sometimes forget that such behavior reflects a sickness in the soul. It will only change for good with a radical change in attitude, by building up a new sense of meaning and value.

Hiding my bottle of whiskey won’t make me sober, but it just might wake me up long enough to make me rethink the trouble of finding it again.

So too, a break from all the ordinary things may well reveal something quite extraordinary, something I had never really considered before. The place doesn’t make the man, of course, though the man can certainly make use of a new place to make something new of himself.

Like the examples Musonius offers, the challenge to live in a new situation might just wipe the slate clean, allowing the seemingly impossible to suddenly become possible.

The need for hard work might awaken a spark of fortitude in me, a willingness to make an effort to get something done in the face of all my worries. It might then also toughen up my atrophied muscles, or make my lungs breathe freely again, or finally give some color to that pasty skin.

Give me the urgency of making my way, and my new priorities might awaken a bit of prudence in me, a commitment to the simple over the complex. It might then also clear away all the poisons I have been consuming, put a sparkle back in my eyes, and rid me of the crippling distractions that have made my head pound.

Remove the convenience of luxuries, and it might awaken a sense of temperance in me, a willingness to master my gluttony and laziness. It might then also free me from that quite unnecessary paunch, the constant exhaustion, and those nagging aches and pains.

It will do me good, for both soul and body, if only I take it as a friendly push forward, not as a slap in the face.

Written in 12/2016


No comments:

Post a Comment