The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 9.9


But, you insist, Euripides says that exiles lose their personal liberty when they are deprived of their freedom of speech. For he represents Jocasta asking Polynices her son what misfortunes an exile has to bear. He answers,

"One greatest of all, that he has not freedom of speech."

She replies,

"You name the plight of a slave, not to be able to say what one thinks."

But I should say in rejoinder: "You are right, Euripides, when you say that it is the condition of a slave not to say what one thinks when one ought to speak, for it is not always, nor everywhere, nor before everyone that we should say what we think.

“But that one point, it seems to me, is not well-taken, that exiles do not have freedom of speech, if to you freedom of speech means not suppressing whatever one chances to think. For it is not as exiles that men fear to say what they think, but as men afraid lest from speaking pain or death or punishment or some such other thing shall befall them. Fear is the cause of this, not exile.

“For to many people, no to most, even though dwelling safely in their native city, fear of what seem to them dire consequences of free speech is present.

“However, the courageous man, in exile no less than at home, is dauntless in the face of all such fears; for that reason, also, he has the courage to say what he thinks equally at home or in exile."

Such are the things one might reply to Euripides.

We understandably become frustrated when we are denied the things we feel we deserve, such as a fair wage, or the security of a home, or the recognition of our peers. Nature may have rightly intended them for us, but there are still those who would forcibly keep them from us, and this is never an easy obstacle to face.

I remind myself that while I cannot always determine what is done to me, I can always determine what I will do. If another acts unjustly, it is then my place to respond justly, whatever the external conditions might be, I still retain the freedom of my own judgment.

A practical rule I keep for myself is that I should indeed fight to be treated fairly, except where my demands would force me to compromise my own virtue, or discourage the exercise of virtue in others. It may sound too simple, but it has saved me from quite a few pointless conflicts, by placing the superior and the inferior in a proper context.

Nevertheless, I will still struggle with limitations placed on my freedom of expression. It is one thing to steal my property, but quite another to muzzle my voice. As a result, I can easily grow angry, and become quite indignant, and be tempted to stomp about in protest.

Here is one way where alien forces seem to intrude on something deeply personal, and at first it feels as if it crosses that boundary between the outside and the inside of me. It makes me quite anxious, in an almost claustrophobic sense. “Stand back!” I wish to say. “You’ve gone too far this time!”

Exile, of any sort, will be like so many other changes of circumstance, where I must learn a whole new set of customs and rules, where a behavior I am accustomed to is suddenly considered quite unacceptable, where censorship can be a harsh irritant. But let me ask myself honestly if anything has really been lost, and if the limitation on my freedoms is ultimately of my own making, not made by others at all.

“But they won’t let me speak my mind or say what I truly think! I’ve been put in a place where I can’t be myself!”

Let me be very careful. Have I been denied the power to think as I would choose to think? Not in any way; no one has reached into my head to change my judgments. Have I been denied the power to speak as I would I choose to speak, or to act as I would choose to act? Again, let me be very careful. Are all of the modes of my communication and expression closed off to me?

Back in grammar school, during one of those regular moments where a set of bullies enjoyed throwing their weight around, I was held down by two fellows, while a third covered my mouth with his hand so that I wouldn’t yell out. I was then slowly told by the fourth that I would be required to literally kiss his bare ass, or I would be “hurt like I’d never hurt before!”

In hindsight, such a demand tells me quite a bit about such people. I later came across many variations over the years, more refined in form but identical in content.

What could I do? I winked at him, twisting my face in the most exaggerated and ridiculous way I could manage. He didn’t like this at all, and slapped me across the face a few times. They finally grew tired of their plan, departing on their way after planting a few kicks.

Sometimes the smallest gesture, the slightest glance, the tiniest expression can take on the greatest significance. That is still freedom.

Why will I not act as I should? Barring incapacitation or death, it is only my own fear that stands in the way. As overwhelming as it may seem, I can master my fear, just as I can master my anger or my lust, with patient and caring attention. It may not happen overnight, but it can happen with conviction and fortitude.

Exile has never done me any wrong. Neither being at home nor being abroad will change the fact that my choices are only as good as my priorities. How much does it hurt? Does it hurt enough to violate my values? My values are only as good as they are important to me.

I can express myself at most any time, in most any place. Just two things matter: do I know that I am living the truth, and am I willing to surrender everything else for its sake? It is my decision, and that decision belongs to no one else.

 Written in 12/2016

IMAGE: Euripedes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment