The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 9.3


Furthermore, how should exile be an obstacle to the cultivation of the things that are one's own and to the acquisition of virtue, when no one was ever hindered from the knowledge and practice of what is needful because of exile?

May it not even be true that exile contributes to that end, since it furnishes men leisure and a greater opportunity for learning the good and practicing it than formerly, in that they are not forced by what only seems to be their fatherland into performing political duties, and they are not annoyed by their kinsmen nor by men who only seem to be their friends, who are skillful in fettering them and dragging them away from the pursuit of better things?

Sometimes a change of situation is by choice, and sometimes it is by necessity. In either case, it helps me to ask myself what it is that I may gain from it, and what it is that I may lose from it. An answer to this question is only possible by discerning what makes for the fullest human gains, and what other things I might be willing to lose for their sake.

I can imagine Socrates telling me to build up the goods of my soul, the very core of who I am, and to put the goods of my body, the conditions under which I must act, in the service of the soul. As argued in Plato’s Meno, this is because all the qualities that are external to my character, such as wealth, or strength, or pleasure, are never good in themselves, but only become good when joined to the wisdom and virtue that should be internal to me.

What is relative must be measured by what is absolute. What is conditional depends upon what is unconditional. What is incomplete follows from what is complete.

The sublime beauty of Stoicism is that it gets right to the heart of human nature, and that it reveals a surprising truth: if I only so choose, I am completely invincible. Everything else can come and go, but my own dignity can always remain intact.

Move me from one place to another, and that does not need to change how I choose to live. Take away all of my trinkets and my toys, and that does not need to determine my choices. Isolate me from all of my friends, and that does not mean I cannot continue to offer concern and kindness.

The worst I have to lose is my comfort and convenience. The most I can gain is the happiness of having lived with conviction, with integrity, with love. It’s hardly a dilemma when it is put in such terms. It only requires a proper sense of priorities.

A new set of surroundings can well be seen as a blessing. It can remove me from the burden of what has become too familiar, and it can free from the many unnecessary obligations I have somehow convinced myself to be necessary. A new place won’t change me, but a new place can help me to better change myself.

Absence can reveal my true friends, and absence can reveal my real duties. It can become a means to rid myself of the chains of stale habits.

Imagine what people would do with the need to pack a few things in a small bag and leave everything else behind.

Some would fret about what to eat, or where to sleep, or the status of their careers.

Others might set off on that road with a sense of relief, that however few days they may have left, they now have another chance to make something decent of themselves, even if it means that all of the old values are replaced by completely new ones.

I don’t need to be here, or to do that, or to rub shoulders with them. I need to grow up, to grow beyond the pleasantries and platitudes. Let me, for once, worry about who I am, not where I am.

Written in 11/2016


No comments:

Post a Comment