The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 9.6


It is not true, moreover, that exiles lack the very necessities of life.

To be sure men who are idle and unresourceful and unable to play the part of a man are generally in want and without resources even when they are in their own country, but energetic and hardworking and intelligent men, no matter where they go, fare well and live without want.

We do not feel the lack of many things unless we wish to live luxuriously:

"For what do mortals need beside two things only,
The bread of Demeter and a drink of the Water-carrier,
Which are at hand and have been made to nourish us?"

I am immediately suspicious when people tell me that if I am just smart enough, dedicated enough, and work hard enough, life will give me everything I could ever want.

I question this not because I am lazy, or because I don’t think Nature provides in full, but because I wish to make certain that what I choose to want is actually in harmony with what I truly need.

It is an all-too-familiar image, the fellow who says that he started a company from his mother’s garage, and now his logo sits on top of a New York skyscraper. He wishes to assure his disciples that success is within their grasp, that diligence and innovation will produce riches, respect, and power. The forces of the marketplace gave him what he wanted, he insists, because he wanted it badly enough.

I also notice an oddly equivalent spiritual version of this claim, where a supposed purity of faith will surely express itself in a worldly prosperity. God will make us happy if we love Him enough, the preacher says, and that is why God will shower us with good fortune. The preacher’s own comforts and luxuries must be the proof of it all.

I do not wish to diminish the commitment and achievements of either the businessman or the preacherman, and life may well have unfolded with such concurrences for them, but hard experience will tell us that it will not always work out that way for everyone else.

You know as well as I do that Fortune does not follow from merit, and that the richest of people are not necessarily the best of people, just as the poorest of people are not necessarily the worst of people.

The problems all arise when we misunderstand the measure of life’s rewards, because we misunderstand the very calling of human nature. Musonius isn’t saying that we will be swimming in money as soon as we put our minds to it, but that Nature gives us all we require if we are rightly resourceful. These are not the same things at all, despite what popular opinion might say.

Everything here depends on what we would consider to be necessary for a good life. I will tend to want far more than I need, and I will tend to look to what I have received over what I have done. The Stoic Turn makes it possible to be happy with fewer things, since I can find peace and contentment in what comes from inside of me.

Success is in human excellence, not in accumulating luxuries. My sense of entitlement will resist, but bread and water are enough for the body. For all of my complaining, I have never been without them for too long.

What is sufficient for the soul? My vanity will resist, but understanding and love are enough for the soul.

“Well, what if, despite all of your resourcefulness, they deny you your bread and water in exile? Then you will go thirsty and starve! Where will your success be then?”

I would not prefer it, and I imagine I would be quite insufferable for a time because of it, but dying, when the time must come, can also offer the opportunity for understanding and love, just as much as living can.

Nature always gives me what I need, as long as I know to pursue the right wants.

Written in 12/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment