The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 9.8


Furthermore, it is not at all necessary for exiles to suffer ill repute because of their banishment, since everyone knows that many trials are badly judged and many people are unjustly banished from their country, and that in the past there have been cases of good men who have been exiled by their countrymen, as for example from Athens Aristides the Just, and from Ephesus Hermodorus, because of whose banishment Heraclitus bade the Ephesians, every grown man of them, to go hang themselves.

In fact some exiles even became very famous, as Diogenes of Sinope and Clearchus, the Lacedaemonian, who with Cyrus marched against Artaxerxes, not to mention more.

How, pray, could this condition in which some people have become more renowned than before be responsible for ill-repute?

Reputation can be a tricky thing, sometimes far more so than money. I see that fame can follow from character, but also that it often accompanies iniquity. It feels like character and esteem should go together, and yet some who receive it don’t deserve it, and some who deserve it don’t receive it. It really all depends on who is giving it, and why it is given.

I may become confused about what is truly good and what is merely indifferent, about how the lower must in the service of the higher, about how all other conditions only become beneficial through wisdom and virtue. I will foolishly flip around the necessary with the preferred.

Attempting to correct myself, recognizing that no further external reward is required for an internal merit, I can go too far in the other direction. I am then tempted to disregard honor entirely, along with wealth, power, or pleasure, as being closed to me. Instead of thinking of fame as morally neutral, I might begin to view it as something bad in itself, or at the very least as something that will never come my way.

Yet this does not need to be the case. Being a good man does not mean I might not also be admired, and being an exile does not mean I might not also be respected. Put in its proper context, life will continually provide me with opportunities to win praise. As long as I don’t pursue them for their own sake, I should neither reject them, nor should I assume that they are going to be withheld from me.

I suggest that much of what Musonius is doing in this lecture is trying to deter us from what we would now call a “victim mentality”. A change of circumstance or place does not need to make me fail as a human being, and it does not even need to make me fail in the eyes of my fellows.

Whatever may happen, good people will still recognize and respect the good they find in others. What the wicked think should not move us in any event.

Aristides of Athens may have found himself ostracized because of his conflicts with Themistocles, but he still maintained the integrity of his character. I have always liked the story that Aristides helped an illiterate citizen by writing down his own name on the ballot in favor of his exile. He later ended up returning to Athens, winning even greater glory in the war against the Persians.

For the followers of philosophy, Diogenes is once again an ideal example of the sort of fellow who still won the admiration of others, even when what he said and did was hardly intended to win any favor. Being ripped from his home two times, once from Sinope and once from Athens, couldn’t keep him from making his name.

In the simplest of terms, I should never assume that everything is lost, just because everything is different. I will still always have myself, and in the process of living up to myself, I may even manage to be recognized for who I am. If I am ever thought of well, let me hope it is by a few decent folks, and not by the scoundrels.

Written in 12/2016

IMAGE: Aristides the Just


No comments:

Post a Comment