The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Off Topic: The Reality of Knowing


The Reality of Knowing: The Status of Ideas in Aquinas and Reid was the only real attempt I ever made at scholarly writing. It was my thesis for a PhD in Philosophy, and I believe perhaps only three or four people ever read any of it.

What made me uncomfortable about the whole deal was that it was all about presentation, and there was little concern for content. My doctoral defense, for example, was mainly about department politics, not about philosophy.

I am still glad I wrote the darn thing, for only one reason: it helped to cement my conviction that philosophy has very little to do with academics. It has everything to do with living. The whole experience drew me even closer to Stoicism.

Written in 12/2010

Below is a link to the text. Perhaps a fifth person might read it ;-)  --bsc

https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object/bc-ir:101238

No comments:

Post a Comment