The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Stoic Wisdom for the Day Collection 2


STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 26, 2015
 'Be not swept off your feet by the vividness of the impression, but say, "Impression, wait for me a little. Let me see what you are and what you represent. Let me try you."'

--Epictetus, "Discourses"

My feelings, both of the senses from the outside and the passions from the inside, seem to have great power over me, but only when I permit myself to be enslaved by them without thinking.
I may be deeply excited by beauty or horribly disgusted by ugliness. But hastiness with impressions is often a great danger.

Only if I take my time with them, judge them clearly, will their meaning and value become apparent, and then I can best use them to be happy. I should rule them, and never let them rule me.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 27, 2015
". . .If you consider any man a friend whom you do not trust as you trust yourself, you are mightily mistaken and you do not sufficiently understand what true friendship means. Indeed, I would have you discuss everything with a friend; but first of all discuss the man himself. When friendship is settled, you must trust; before friendship is formed, you must pass judgment."

--Seneca the Younger, "Letter 3 to Lucilius"

The way we abuse the bonds of friendship always baffles me. I suppose I am wired very differently. Choose your friends slowly, wisely, and with great care. Take your time, because it is a commitment. But once they are your friends, do not abandon them. Trust them and love them as you should trust and love yourself, without any condition.

I have learned through great heartbreak that no friend is disposable. Friendship wouldn't be a virtue if it depended on convenience.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 28, 2015
"We admire walls veneered with a thin layer of marble, although we know the while what defects the marble conceals. We cheat our own eyesight, and when we have overlaid our ceilings with gold, what else is it but a lie in which we take such delight? For we know that beneath all this gilding there lurks some ugly wood."

--Seneca the Younger, "Letter 115 to Lucilius"

A love of appearances, of image, of externals is the sign of a rotten soul. As my great-grandfather always said, "A hog in a silk waistcoat is still just a hog." Whenever I succumb to the vanity of thinking with appearances, especially when I envy the manufactured image of others, a little bit of that rot starts to set in. A modern version might be that "no one is ever as happy, popular, or successful as they appear on Facebook"

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 29, 2015
"Philosophy teaches us to act, not to speak; it exacts of every man that he should live according to his own standards, that his life should not be out of harmony with his words, and that, further, his inner life should be of one hue and not out of harmony with all his activities. This, I say, is the highest duty and the highest proof of wisdom – that deed and word should be in accord, that a man should be equal to himself under all conditions, and always the same."

--Seneca the Younger, "Letter 20 to Lucilius"

To quote those great scribes, my favorite band of the 1980's, The Fixx: "Do what you say, say what you mean." If I am consistent in my thoughts, words, and deeds, at the very least I am honest. If I say one thing in public and do another in private, well then, goshdarnit, I'm nothing but a liar and a cheat.
Being honest doesn't always win me worldly rewards; in fact, it often brings me worldly punishments. Quite often. But if I have maintained my character if I do this right, then that's made me better. The rest is just the window dressing of poseurs. . .

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 30, 2015
“So dry your tears. Fortune has not yet turned her hatred against all your blessings. The storm has not yet broken upon you with too much violence. Your anchors are holding firm and they permit you both comfort in the present, and hope in the future.

--Boethius, "The Consolation of Philosophy"

Because the word 'stoic' has negative connotations to many, it is often assumed to be a cold philosophy. I have found just the opposite. It is the practice of true hope, in the knowledge that nature does nothing in vain, that providence provides all that we need if we just look rightly, that the simple love of the true and the good is the richest joy.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: December 31, 2015
"It is difficulties that show what men are."

--Epictetus, "Discourses"

When I was a young pup, I was often resentful of those more privileged than myself, those blessed with 'affluenza.' Their parents bought them cars, condominiums, gave them unlimited credit cards, or paid for law school with annual checks. It never seemed fair.

But it was fair. With only a few rare exceptions, few of those people turned out to be kind, loving, caring human beings. Most of them became cold, heartless, greedy.

The people I love and respect the most are those who have struggled. They have learned not just the value of a dollar, but the value of character. My hat off to all of you--you know who you are.
 
STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 1, 2016
"Try how the life of the good man suits you, the life of him who is satisfied with his portion out of the whole, and satisfied with his own just acts and benevolent disposition. "

--Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

I wasted too many years of my life worried about all the externals. Get into a good college, get the best grades, get the best job, marry the most suitable girl, have perfect little kids who will continue the cycle all over again. And all of it was bulls#%t.

When I care first about:
loving, not being loved
giving, not receiving
acting on my responsibilities, not demanding my rights
listening, not preaching
accepting, not rejecting
being grateful, not demanding
caring for my character, not my conditions
working for the good, not just getting paid
humbling myself, but never demeaning another person
critical of my own failures, but never those of others

Then, at those times in my life, I have been the best and happiest. I fail when I break those rules.
I can't think of a better New Year's Resolution than redoubling my efforts to do this well.
To all my friends, I wish you a blessed and happy New Year! You are all much loved!
 
STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 2, 2016
"All the good are friends of one another."

--Zeno of Citium

The Stoic insistence on human fellowship can be a great inspiration. I find myself discouraged when I see the gossip, backstabbing, and conflict between people who ought to work together. I shouldn't have to dread church or work because of all the petty conflict and personal vanity I find there. The Stoics stressed that all people shared a common citizenship in humanity, regardless of nation, culture or creed. If I can treat others that way, I have done my part in encouraging them to do the same.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 3, 2016
"He who is running a race ought to endeavor and strive to the utmost of his ability to come off victor; but it is utterly wrong for him to trip up his competitor, or to push him aside. So in life it is not unfair for one to seek for himself what may accrue to his benefit; but it is not right to take it from another."

--Chryssipus (as quoted by Cicero)

Back when I taught at a high school, I recall a basketball team deeply worried that they weren't winners. I questioned if winning was the most important thing. "Of course," they said, "what else matters?" "If winning comes first," I asked, "and you'd do anything to win, would you cheat to win?" They had to think about that one. As in sports, so in life. Aim to win, but by no means at any cost. Compete with virtue. If only the business, legal, and political world could learn this lesson.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 4, 2016
"Remember this— that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life."

--Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations" IV

It all matters, even the smallest actions. I often wonder why we may think that justice and kindness only matter with the 'important' things; don't we see that we won't be able to manage the big things if we can't even do the little things?


STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 5, 2016
"You are a little soul, carrying a corpse."

--Epictetus (Fragment XXVI)

I have clearly been reading and practicing Stoicism long enough, or perhaps for too long , when this quote brings me such a wonderful comfort. It manages to dignify and humble us all at the same time.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 6, 2016
"This is the worst trait of minds rendered arrogant by prosperity, they hate those whom they have injured."

--Seneca the Younger (On Anger)

Like all philosophers, the Stoics have their heads in the clouds. Unlike most philosophers, they also have their feet firmly planted on the ground. The above observation is a case in point. Theory might suggest that the entitled, the coddled, the powerful are indifferent to those they abuse. No, they actively despise them, because their arrogance is so great that they cannot bear the dignity of others without hatred.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 7, 2016
"I have always been of the opinion that infamy earned by doing what is right is not infamy at all, but glory."

--Cicero (Against Catiline)

Never confuse what is popular with what is good.

 STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 8, 2016
 “To help us to cheerfully endure those hardships which we may expect to suffer because of virtue and goodness, it is useful to recall what hardships people will endure for immoral reasons. Consider what lustful lovers undergo for the sake of evil desires-and how much exertion others expend for the sake of profit-how much suffering pursuing fame - bear in mind that they all submit to all kinds of toil and hardship voluntarily. "

--Musonius Rufus (On How To Live)

Living well requires effort. And sometimes it seems like too much effort. Then I remember all the time and toil I have spent on pointless things. Whether it be that job, that girl, that certain social status, I wasted countless hours for the wrong things. If I can spend that much effort on the wrong things, surely I can spend them on the right things? If I can waste my time for sex, wealth, or power, surely I can give more to my character? There's plenty of effort right there. I just need to know where to direct it.

STOIC WISDOM FOR THE DAY: January 9, 2016
We sadly only have fragments from Musonius Rufus, the teacher of Epictetus. This one is priceless:

"Musonius," Herodes said, "ordered a thousand sesterces [brass coins] to be given to a beggar of the sort who was pretending to be a philosopher, and when several people told him that the rascal was a bad and vicious fellow, deserving of nothing good, Musonius, they say, answered with a smile, 'Well then he deserves the money'." (Fragment 50)

It just goes to show that the Stoics also had a sense of humor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment