The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.3


Look within things. Let neither the peculiar quality of anything nor its value escape you.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

I am still far too ready to see things only for me, and not in themselves. I look at the appearance on the outside, and consider only what is useful or pleasing to me. I neglect to look at the essence on the inside, at the inherent dignity and purpose of things.

If a Stoic life must be one in accord with Nature, I should not confuse a subjective impression with an objective reality. The identity of anything, and its distinct place in the harmony of all things, remains the same, whether I find it desirable or repugnant, a convenience or a burden. A respect for my own end requires an equal respect for the ends of everyone and everything else around me, existing for their own sake, not merely for my sake.

I can only understand this when I look within. An object in the natural world isn’t just a resource for me, and a person in the social world isn’t just a tool for my profit. Look beyond what it seems, to what it is.

I have often failed to see things for what they truly are, or people for who they truly are. Swept away by my impressions alone, I have used and then abused, acquired and then discarded, wanted at one moment and become indifferent the next. I have filled the world with my waste, and made waste of the people who should fill my world.

It was only through finding myself at the receiving end of much the same thoughtlessness that I could even start to improve myself. Nothing in Nature is ever useless, and no man is ever disposable. This becomes quite clear when one finds himself to be considered useless or disposable.

I have long experienced others only giving me a value based upon how much of an advantage I could be for their own status or gratification. This would often fill me with resentment or despair, but then I began to recognize that my own response was equally based on mere appearance and passion. I can hardly expect others to respect me if I cannot respect them.

The man who can look within, down to the causes, principles and elements, will never reject, ignore, or discard anyone or anything. He will always seek to understand how and why it is the way it is. He will therefore seek to assist Nature on her way, and to love his neighbor as himself.

Written in 9/2006

3 comments:

  1. Your reflections are very good, I often come here to get the explanation of meditations I couldn't understand.
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading some of these silly reflections! It is an honor to know that someone reads them!

      Delete
    2. Same for me.....when I want to dig deeper into the meditations of Marcus Aurelius and it’s nuances...I come here to this site as my barometer to parse my understanding.

      Delete