The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.7


“ ‘If Plenty with overflowing horn
scatters her wealth abroad, abundantly,
as in the storm-tossed sea the sand is cast around,
or so beyond all measure as the stars shine forth
upon the studded sky in cloudless nights;
though she never stays her hand,
yet will the race of men still weep and wail.
Though God accepts their prayers freely
and gives gold with ungrudging hand,
and decks with honors those who deserve them,
yet when they are gotten, these gifts seem naught.
Wild greed swallows what it has sought,
and still gapes wide for more.
What bit or bridle will hold within its course this headlong lust,
when, whetted by abundance of rich gifts,
the thirst for possession burns?
Never call we that man rich who is ever trembling in haste
and groaning for that he thinks he lacks.’ “

—from Book 2, Poem 2

Pleasure, wealth, and fame, all the things we look to Fortune to provide for us, have an odd way of never being enough. We wish to acquire them, but we are then still in a state of longing when they are acquired. We are willing to sacrifice everything we have for some of it, and then take out a loan to get some more.

Fortune has cleverly reminded Boethius of something deeply contradictory in our thinking and living. We complain when her benefits are lacking, but we will complain just as much when her benefits are present.

If it’s all so wonderful to begin with, why is it never satisfying? Why does the bar for satisfaction only get higher and higher?

It makes me shudder to think of it, but there is a certain similarity between the addict who can never have enough of his poison of choice, and the grasping man who can never have enough of his worldly gain. Whatever he may want will never fulfill him, because what he wants has nothing to do with his happiness to begin with.

Anything that completes my being should, by definition, leave nothing else to be desired. A seeking for what is good will rightly terminate in possessing what is good. If my goal is in itself unreachable, I have set myself the wrong goal.

Even as I probably spend my time thinking about things too much, or perhaps too carelessly, I always keep a few pithy phrases at hand to reach for when I find myself dazed and confused. One of these is that I have known some happy people who happen to be rich, but I have never known anyone to be happy because he is rich.

Experience has confirmed that for me year after year, time and time again.

Now that, quite understandably, rubs people the wrong way. “Imagine what I could do with a few thousand extra dollars,” says a poor man. “My life would be so much better!” Given him his few thousand, and he will next want a hundred thousand, or a million, or many millions.

Now he is a rich man, wanting to be richer. There is no limit to greed, because greed is always about wanting what I don’t already have. Bliss is always just over the horizon.

I have had two distinct moments in my own life, for example, when I was in a state of desperate financial want. There was no money in the accounts, and bills were not going to get paid. I cried and moaned, but my want was actually not a need. I was never hungry, I was never without a roof over my head or clothes on my back, and, most importantly, I was never denied the chance to be a decent person.

On both occasions, I promised myself, and swore to the highest heavens, that if it all worked out, I would never complain about my situation, ever again.

And I lied to myself, because as soon as the circumstances improved, I set my eyes on some other vain achievement. The promise was completely ignored. In the immortal words of Tom Lehrer:

More, more, I’m still not satisfied!

The problem is not that I’m failing to get what I want. The problem is that I’m failing to want the right things. 

Written in 7/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment