The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, July 27, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.23


As to the animals, which have no reason, and generally all things and objects, you should, since you have reason and they have none, make use of them with a generous and liberal spirit.

But towards human beings, as they have reason, behave in a social spirit.

And on all occasions call on the gods. Do not perplex yourself about the length of time in which you should do this, for even three hours so spent are sufficient.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

Some things in this life, those that do not possess the power to freely rule themselves, can be there for our use. Yet our dominion over them, to use a familiar phrase, can surely never be one of greed or exploitation. It is necessary to make use of things well, always keeping in mind how their benefits exist for all of Nature, and how they are to be shared freely and responsibly.

In this way, we sometimes speak of minerals, or plants, or animals as being resources, though I wonder how often we confuse the care of stewardship with an exploitation of misguided ownership.

A fellow human being, however, is not a thing at all, but a person. He is not a what, but a who. I remember being a bit taken aback when I was still rather young, and I first heard the phrase “human resources” being used. I was confused about the idea that another person could be seen as a commodity, or as a means to an end. When I sincerely asked about this, I was met with blank stares. “Well, that’s what an employee is, right?”

However we are expected to see the relationship of people to profit in the world of business, I have always tried to think on a different level, a human level. Another person shares in the same powers of judgment and choice as myself, and he is therefore made to be his own master. Another person shares in the same end and purpose of existence as myself, and he has the right to seek happiness through his own actions.

He is not something I have authority over, but someone I share authority with. He is not there only to serve me, but we are both made to serve one another. Our nature orders us toward cooperation, not conflict.

Marcus Aurelius often speaks about practicing our social nature, and I suspect he means something deeper than just being pleasant or possessing good manners. To me, he is speaking about having an inherent respect for the dignity of each individual, regardless of any convenience or utility. Pleasing a friend to get what I want is quite different from loving a friend to help him get what he needs.

I notice that while I have a responsibility for the things below me, and a solidarity with the people equal to me, I must also have a reverence for what is above me. These three relationships go together, because they are all parts of the whole. Express this in whatever manner you think is best, but there is no fullness of Nature without looking to the Divine measure from which all other things proceed. It’s a package deal.

Written in 2/2007

IMAGE: Jan Pietersz, Adam Naming the Animals (1604)



No comments:

Post a Comment