The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.24


Alexander the Macedonian and his groom by death were brought to the same state.

For either they were received among the same seminal principles of the Universe, or they were alike dispersed among the atoms.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

Some people find this disturbing. I actually find it quite comforting. I suppose our responses will depend upon what we think is worthy in life.

We will all end up in exactly the same state, not a bit of difference between us. That will involve either returning back to where we came from, and thereby having our being transformed, or simply ceasing to be entirely. In either case, no amount of acquiring wealth, or fame, or power alters that fact.

The only remaining question is to decide how I will choose to live, while I still live. Now is it best to live according to the measure of my own character, which is in itself the expression of my nature, or to live according to my position, which depends only upon the nature of other things? Is a man made by what comes from within him, or by what is added from outside him?

Some people are so familiar with a culture of status that they cannot imagine things differently. One of my students, for example, was baffled that someone might not even want to be a world conqueror instead of the fellow that cleans up after the horses.  He finally concluded, as I recall, that this could only be because weak people had to begrudgingly accept their failure.

I can only suggest that the true failure is in neglecting to rule myself first, and then surrendering my worth to external trappings. It seems to me as silly as judging a man by what his is wearing, or how many letters go before or after his name, or how many pieces of colored plastic are in his wallet. Yet many people will do precisely that, having considered no other possibility.

Just as puzzling can be those who speak the right words so eloquently, but whose deeds still remain tied to a love of externals. I need not be confused, however, because I should quickly notice the inconsistency between what they say and what they do. A colleague of mine once nobly expressed his regret for not having done the right thing. I was briefly moved. He then gave himself away completely by adding that he couldn’t do so, because it would have meant losing his chance for tenure.

Marcus Aurelius is simply reminding us that none of the titles, achievements, or luxuries of the world will really change who we are, and the fact that death is the great equalizer can be an encouragement to quite a different way of living. The Stoic, like any man of good principles, will never seek out what is extraneous and unnecessary. He defines himself by the virtue of what he does, not by the convenience of what comes to him.

It will make no difference if he lounges about in the palace or works in the stables.

Written in 2/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment