The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, June 29, 2018

There are different ways to respond. . .

Social media has indeed given us all of these wonderful opportunities. It has also tempted us to become heartless bullies.

Let's say I read a post, or a blog entry, or any expression of someone's thoughts and feelings. Let's say I find something I don't agree with, or I don't understand what was said. Here are two very different ways I could react:

1) You are wrong. What idiot could ever think such a stupid thing? You're obviously ignorant, and I need to tell you why. . . This often ends with a "LMFAO".

2) Thank you for sharing your ideas. I have a question about something you said, and I didn't want to misunderstand it. What did you mean by. . . ? This often ends with a "Thank you".

Respect for others costs me nothing. Dismissal of others costs me everything, the integrity of my own character.

If you think I'm being a precious, sensitive snowflake, read the comment sections on any news site, from the right or from the left. Read most any page or group, and you will see the oozing of all that nastiness. When people die, we applaud it and make jokes. When people are still alive, we say they should suffer, in all sorts of horrible ways. We condemn, we reject, but we rarely care.

I've failed at it myself, and I've sadly let my passions get the better of me. I'm sorry. I try to become better.

A few months back, I foolishly shared a thought that meant quite a bit to me. I had no intention of doing so, but a kind soul encouraged me to be open. I did so, against my better judgment, and literally within seconds got a response:

"Is anyone else tired of these kinds of posts? What a waste of my time."

It stings for a moment, but then I remember what I am confronted with. This isn't a thinking man or a compassionate man. I shouldn't be resentful. I should either reach out to him, or if that is ineffective, learn to let it go.

I've learned, quite the hard way, that life isn't about making more of myself at the expense of others.  I don't need to cut off someone's head to feel tall.

Written in 4/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment