The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.4


“As thus she turns her wheel of chance with haughty hand,
and presses on like the surge of Euripus's tides,
Fortune now tramples fiercely on a fearsome king,
and now deceives no less a conquered man
by raising from the ground his humbled face.
She hears no wretch's cry,
she heeds no tears,
but wantonly she mocks the sorrow
which her cruelty has made.
This is her sport.
Thus she proves her power.
If in the selfsame hour one man is raised to happiness,
and cast down in despair,
it is thus she shows her might.”

—from Book 2, Poem 1

There are two frantic feelings in my life that I have found to be almost overwhelming in their power. These are the desire to possess, and the despair from loss. Each of these has come very close to destroying me entirely, and what makes it all the more frightening is how easy it is to allow myself to be swept away by them.

In either case, it is the hand of Fortune that has both tempted me with what I crave, and left me empty-handed from its loss. I try to blame Fortune, of course, but she is simply playing her part. I might as well ask a fish not to swim. No, I chose to follow her, and to depend on what she offered, and I can hardly complain or be angry when it is taken away.

The Wheel of Fortune is one of the many profound images in the Consolation. As it turns, some of us are at the top, some at the bottom, some rising, some falling. We might be dismissive of another’s position, or we might be envious of it, but it will soon be different, because Fortune is, by her very definition, always changing. The wheel is constantly in motion, and riches become rags, fame becomes infamy, health becomes sickness, and power becomes weakness. Then it turns again.

I find it quite telling that in the Middle Ages, the Wheel of Fortune was always a stark reminder to never rely upon circumstances. Now, we only think of it as an amusing game show that can make us rich.

When I was younger, I remember there were two kinds of pop songs that were most common. The theme was either the joy of falling in love, forever and ever, or the pain of a broken heart, never to love again. I would hum along carelessly to all of them, and then each of these things happened to me, and I viewed the songs very differently.

I realized how much of it revolved precisely around what happened to me, whether it was getting or losing what I wanted. Notice how we speak of falling in love, or having our hearts broken by someone. Making the value of love circumstantial is just another aspect of letting Fortune pull our strings.

Fortune will indeed lift me up, and she will cast me down. She will take pleasure in seeing me laugh or cry, depending on her mood. And there’s the rub. I have made my happiness contingent on her whims, and I have surrendered my choice to her.

I need to find my way out of that dependence, and turn to something stable.

Written in 7/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment