The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.3



. . . “Do you reckon such happiness to be prized, which is sure to pass away? Is good fortune dear to you, which is with you for a time and is not sure to stay, and which is sure to bring you unhappiness when it is gone?

“But seeing that it cannot be stayed at will, and that when it flees away it leaves misery behind, what is such a fleeting thing but a sign of coming misery?

“Nor should it ever satisfy any man to look only at what is placed before his eyes. Prudence takes measure of the results to come from all things. The very changeableness of good and bad makes Fortune's threats no more fearful, nor her smiles to be desired.

“And lastly, when you have once put your neck beneath the yoke of Fortune, you must with steadfast heart bear whatever comes to pass within her realm. But if you would dictate the law by which she whom you have freely chosen to be your mistress must stay or go, surely you will be acting without justification; and your very impatience will make more bitter the lot that you cannot change.

“If you set your sails before the wind, will you not move forward where the wind drives you, not where your will may choose to go? If you entrust your seed to the furrow, will you not weigh the rich years and the barren against each other? You have given yourself over to Fortune's rule, and you must bow yourself to your mistress's ways.

“Are you trying to stay the force of her turning wheel? Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune begins to stay still, she is no longer Fortune.”

—from Book 2, Prose 1

If I wish my happiness to be consistent, and I wish my happiness not to be built upon dependence, then Fortune cannot be my path to happiness.

That which refuses to last will always leave me wanting more, and that which relies on what is outside of my power will leave me helpless in the face of it. Fortune is exactly like that. She gives, and then she takes away. She offers, but only when I submit to her terms. I am trusting in something that is inherently unreliable, and I am surrendering my own power.

I leave it to the statisticians to tell me what my odds might be, and how the rules of the house might affect those odds. But why would I ever want to base my life on odds, and submit to another’s rules?

When I have worked with addicts, and when I struggled with addiction myself, I have been amazed at how what Boethius says can speak profoundly to those who rely upon what is beyond their control.

I would reflect on how we sadly think that those who suffer from addiction are at the fringes of society. Yet change the object of desire, from alcohol, drugs, and sex, to money, power, and fame, and we are now describing the status quo. If becoming rich, influential, and popular is what I think will fulfill me, then I am making exactly the same mistake as the fellow begging to get his next score.

Do I wish to always be looking over my shoulder, afraid to lose what I think I need? Do I wish to always be moved by my desires, instead of ruling my desires? That is what a reliance on Fortune, upon only what happens to me, will ultimately bring me.

When reflecting on the give and take of life, I have noticed how often people want the circumstances of life to be unconditional, while also leaving room for their own commitments to be conditional. We are angry when other people lie, cheat, and steal, but we wish to retain our own option to lie, cheat and steal.

Shouldn’t the exact opposite really be the case? Others may act without loyalty or justice, but that is never something I can decide. I, however, can decide to always act with loyalty or justice. The former is unpredictable, and beyond my choice, while the latter will be as predictable as I choose to make it. I get the order and priority all mixed up, from confusing what I should do with what others should do.

How odd that I expect to receive from others on consistent terms, while refusing to give to others on consistent terms.

Written in 7/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment