The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.6


. . . “‘Is the insatiate discontent of man to bind me to a constancy which belongs not to my ways? Herein lies my very strength; this is my unchanging sport. I turn my wheel that spins its circle fairly; I delight to make the lowest turn to the top, the highest to the bottom.

“‘Come you to the top if you will, but on this condition, that you think it no unfairness to sink when the rule of my game demands it. Do you not know my ways? Have you not heard how Croesus, king of Lydia, who filled even Cyrus with fear but a little earlier, was miserably put upon a pyre of burning wood, but was saved by rain sent down from heaven? Have you forgotten how Paulus shed tears of respect for the miseries of his captive, King Perses?

“‘For what else is the crying and the weeping in tragedies but for the happiness of kings overturned by the random blow of fortune? Have you never learnt in your youth the ancient allegory that in the threshold of Jove's hall there stand two vessels, one full of evil, and one of good? What if you have received more richly of the good? What if I have not ever withheld myself from you? What if my changing nature is itself a reason that you should hope for better things?

“‘In any way, let not your spirit eat itself away: you are set in the sphere that is common to all, let your desire therefore be to live with your own lot of life, a subject of the kingdom of the world.’”

—from Book 2, Prose 2

Things rise and fall. My situation may increase at one moment, quite unexpectedly, and it may decrease just as quickly. Sometimes we call this chance, or luck, or we personify it as Fortune, that force within our lives that seems always to be out of our control. The only thing predictable about it is that it will unpredictable, the only thing I know about it is that I can never know what it will do.

It is how I am going to make sense of all the rising and falling that will make all the difference for me. Fortune insists she has her own way of doing things, and that her terms are not negotiable. Sometimes I will be handed a portion from the vessel filled with plenty, and at other times I will be handed a portion from the vessel filled with want. That isn’t for me to decide.

In facing such uncertainty, my own attitude can perhaps put the situation in perspective. One of my grandmothers would always tell me not to “make opera” of things. The other would tell me that life “doesn’t have to be a Greek tragedy”. Youth is often drawn to melodrama, so I did not always take well to the reminder, but both sayings stuck with me. I began to see that what I chose to make of my circumstances was really what determined how they affected me.

I am hardly learned in the dramatic arts, but I do recall being taught that tragedy wasn’t just about bad things happening, or unhappy consequences. It was also more importantly about how the thoughts and actions of the characters set the terms for their downfall, and how their thoughts and actions might change because of that downfall. A tragic story is a mirroring and magnification of our own lives, and we will feel sympathy with such great suffering in another. Aristotle said this was cleansing, because it helped us to understand ourselves, and to perceive our own fatal flaws.

Let us say, for the moment, that good or bad circumstances will inevitable come my way, and I can have no say in this. But do I not have a say in how I respond to Fortune? Is that within my power? Did not so many of the tragic heroes only make their situation even worse through their pride, stubbornness, or ignorance? Is it not possible to also make the situation better for me, even if it will all happen as it must?

I imagine both my grandmothers were suggesting precisely that, though, as grandmothers are prone to do, far more clearly and directly. It will mean what you make of it. Let it rule you, and it will consume you, just as it has Boethius. Face it with some dignity, and you may somehow survive it.

So how can I start to live with my own lot in life? Is it just begrudging acceptance, or something more positive?

Written in 7/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment