The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 4.54



Always run to the short way, and the short way is the natural way.

Accordingly, say and do everything in conformity with the soundest reason. For such a purpose frees a man from trouble, and warfare, and all artifice and ostentatious display.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 4 (tr Long)

This doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the scenic route, or follow the road less traveled, or take the long way home, or find pleasure in a winding path. It’s too easy to mix up all of the different road analogies. It’s just about staying on task, and not allowing ourselves to be diverted from our awareness of what is true and the good in this life.

The short way is the most natural, in the sense that it removes whatever is unnecessary, and frees us from distraction. If I always keep my mind directly focused on my goal, whatever else may be happening around me, I will not be tempted to confuse lesser things for greater things. If I can always relate my every thought and action directly to the purpose of a life well lived, I will avoid becoming lost in the confusion.

What is it that really gets us into trouble? Wanting all of the things we do not need.

What is it that brings us into conflict with others? Assuming that our own happiness requires a control over the lives of others.

What is it that tempts us to put on a show? Thinking that it is more important to be seen than to simply do.

The short way always points toward the goal. When asked what is most important in life, people offer a befuddling range of answers. A career, success, security, friends and family, health, a long life, or just having fun. Now the Stoic may well have these things, or he may not have them, and he recognizes why they might be preferable. But he will never confuse them with what he should desire above all else, always living with virtue.

I once confused a girl I knew when she asked me whether I’d rather be rich or handsome, and I told here I’d rather be a good man.

“That’s not the question!” she said.

“Exactly,” I replied. “It isn’t the question at all. It’s a diversion from the question.”

As soon as I start thinking about becoming rich, or spend my time trying to appear handsome, I am no longer keeping my eyes on the prize. Shallow people may be drawn to shiny things, but people of conviction are drawn to things that are true and good, however dull they may appear.

Becoming busy with all the accessories of living will keep me turned away from the task. I will then find that I am out of time, because life is short, and I didn’t run the short way. 

Written in 2/2006




No comments:

Post a Comment