The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 4.39



You will soon die, and you are not yet simple, not free from perturbations, or without suspicion of being hurt by external things, or kindly disposed towards all; nor do you yet place wisdom only in acting justly.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 4 (tr Long)

It hurts to hear it, but it is completely true. Marcus Aurelius is, of course, speaking to himself, but he might as well be sitting down with me over a very strong cup of coffee.

The Stoics will often speak of “the sage”, the man who has finally come to rise above all the shallow and petty things in this life, and who now chooses, with joy, tranquility, and complete self-giving, to dedicate his entire existence to wisdom and virtue. Nothing else may touch him, or if a longing for externals reaches out to touch him, he can gently put them aside. Circumstance and fate no longer harm him, because he does not allow them to rule over him.

He may have something in common, I suppose, with the bodhisattva of Buddhism, or the rishi of Hinduism. In the Catholic faith I was raised in, we informally called such people living saints, as much as that troubled the more precise theologians.

I leave aside, for the moment, the question of whether there are such truly perfected people in this life, or whether it is a noble ideal for our aspirations. I do know, however, that I have been blessed by knowing people, only a few, who come at least mightily close to achieving that complete goal. I keep them in my heart and mind every day as an inspiration.

Now I might complain about how many obstacles stand in my way, or I may choose to do my best to overcome those obstacles. Most of us are dedicated to wealth, fame, and a long life. The Stoic is dedicated to understanding, character, and a good life. Each of us can channel all that energy committed to externals, and redirect it to internals. The choice is right here, right now. Then, we would have far fewer important people, but far more decent people.

Simplicity? Less is more, not because less is itself better, but because life needs no more than what Nature provides.

Free from perturbations? Worry only about what is within my power, and never about what is beyond it. Nature manages the rest.

Without being hurt by external things? As a being of reason, choice, and action, I will only harm myself by abusing my reason, choice, and action.

Kindly disposed towards all? There is never a reason to hate anyone or anything. There is only a reason to correct my own hatred for anyone or anything.

Acting justly? I may be treated unjustly, but that is neither here nor there. The grasping of others need not make me grasping within myself.

Written in 12/2005

 

No comments:

Post a Comment