The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 4.7



It is natural that these things should be done by such persons, it is a matter of necessity; and if a man will not have it so, he will not allow the fig-tree to have juice.

But by all means bear this in mind, that within a very short time both you and he will be dead; and soon not even your names will be left behind.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 4 (tr Long)

I have felt angry when I see people act with greed, lust, or deception, and then I have felt even angrier when they continue to do so with impunity, or are even praised and rewarded for their deeds. In the simplest sense, it just doesn’t seem fair.

Whenever I feel this way, I must remind myself of two things, each of which is crucial to the peace of a Stoic life. First, Providence has a place for all things. Second, the things that look so big from one angle will become quite small when viewed from another.

Gifted with reason, every man will choose for himself what he considers to be best. His actions may be virtuous or vicious, and from this he will surely determine whether he lives in happiness or in misery.

Yet even when he has done wrong, Providence always offers a way for it to be rebuilt into something right. The reason, order, and purpose in all things will take our freedom, and include it as a part of a greater necessity. Nothing occurs in Nature without serving the good of the whole.

I may not understand exactly how each thing will be a means to that end, but I can be certain that it will be, because I know that nothing in Nature acts in vain. The beauty of such design is that something that seems so wrong will suddenly become the opportunity for something so right.

Instead of wanting to remove bad people from the world, or denying them their power to make their own choices, I can instead think of how even their disorder can be used to assist in achieving harmony. I should hardly want to remove all the qualities of Nature that are necessary for things being what they are, and for the fulfillment of what they must become.

Now the benefit of time, and the possibility of a better perspective, has shown me many ways in which what I thought seemed unbearable could actually become the source for something better. This may not remove the wrong, but it will transform the wrong.

Yet I also face suffering that doesn’t seem to budge at all, or pain that will still haunt me, either when awake or asleep. It may even seem to grow bigger and stronger.

Even then, I remind myself that however insurmountable the obstacle appears, the only thing that keeps it in my way is when I try to make something permanent of what is really passing. It is my false estimation that attaches importance to what is ultimately unimportant in the scheme of life, and I am making more of it than I need to.

Has someone insulted me, disposed of me, or manipulated me, to the point where I can hardly bear the agony? I must recall that another’s skewed perception of gain, and my shallow perception of loss, both come from thinking that false goods, like power, pleasure, wealth, or esteem, are themselves lasting, or worth anything at all. Their roots never grow deep, and so they are washed away in the next rain.

I can rest assured that what feels bad can always be made good, and it only feels so bad because I am forgetting how to rightly distinguish between what is bad and what is good in the first place.

Written in 6/2005



No comments:

Post a Comment