The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, April 13, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 1.9



. . . “And since among them were to be seen certain signs of my outward bearing, others ill-advised did think they wore my livery. Thus were many of them undone by the errors of the herd of uninitiated.

But if you have not heard of the exile of Anaxagoras, nor the poison drunk by Socrates, nor the torture of Zeno, which all were of foreign lands, yet you may know of Canius, Seneca, and Soranus, whose fame is neither small nor passing old.

Nothing else brought them to ruin but that, being built up in my ways, they appeared at variance with the desires of unscrupulous men. So it is no matter for your wonder if, in this sea of life, we are tossed about by storms from all sides; for to oppose evil men is the chief aim we set before ourselves.

Though the band of such men is great in numbers, yet is it to be condemned, for it is guided by no leader, but is hurried along at random, only by error running riot everywhere. If this band when warring against us presses too strongly upon us, our leader, Reason, gathers her forces into her citadel, while the enemy are busied in plundering useless baggage.

As they seize the most worthless things, we laugh at them from above, untroubled by the whole band of mad marauders, and we are defended by that rampart to which riotous folly may not hope to attain.”

—from Book 1, Prose 3

The mere appearance of wisdom, simply wearing the right colors, should never be confused with a commitment to wisdom. I know exactly what Lady Philosophy speaks of, because I have been guilty of it myself. I have mistaken the trappings of education for genuine understanding, and the image of cleverness for the presence of character.

I have sadly done this whenever I lose sight of the example of real philosophers in this life, not the folks who mouth mere words, but those who will face danger for the love of truth. Some of them, like those that Lady Philosophy mentions, may have earned fame for their actions, but it was never fame that they sought. I have known many more in my life, however, who never wrote any profound books, or gave any great speeches, or received any recognition for their efforts. They not only pursued what was right through their deeds, but they were happy to do so.

Making enemies simply for its own sake is hardly a good thing, but being thought an enemy by vicious men can well be a sign that we are starting to get something right. I’m told Winston Churchill never actually said it, but Victor Hugo apparently did:

You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea. It is the cloud that thunders around everything that shines.

There are times I really need to remember what Philosophy says about bearing misfortune in order to oppose what is evil. The path of least resistance is not necessarily the right path.

All of this may seem very noble to me, but it may also seem quite discouraging. It may suggest that in order to be a good man, I must be willing to lose everything for its sake. Here, however, I should be careful not make any assumptions of doom and gloom, because I must ask myself what it is really is that a wicked man gains, and what it might be that a good man actually loses?

This question is at the very heart of the Consolation. The vicious give the appearance of success, and the virtuous give the appearance of suffering, but all of this hinges on how we define victory or defeat, and what it is in life that will truly bring us happiness.

I should consider the sorts of spoils that the brutal actually seek. They will run about the land seeking wealth, pleasure, or fame. Are those the same things that I should want? Perhaps these are not worthy goals at all, in which case I can leave them to those that desire them. Perhaps the very things I should seek can be like a fortress for me, impregnable to outside wickedness?

Written in 5/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment