The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, April 23, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 1.12



Then did I rally my spirit until it was strong again, and answered, “Does the savage bitterness of my fortune still need recounting? Does it not stand forth plainly enough of itself?

“Does not the very aspect of this place strike you? Is this the library that you had chosen for yourself as your sure resting place in my house? Is this the room in which you would so often tarry with me, expounding the philosophy of things human and divine?

“Was my condition like this, or my countenance, when I probed with your aid the secrets of Nature, when you marked out with a wand the courses of the stars, when you shaped our habits and the rule of all our life by the pattern of the Universe?

“Are these the rewards we reap by yielding ourselves to you? No, you yourself have established this saying by the mouth of Plato, that commonwealths would be blessed if they were guided by those who made wisdom their study, or if those who guided them would make wisdom their study.

“By the mouth of that same great man did you teach that this was the binding reason why a commonwealth should be governed by philosophers, namely that the helm of government should not be left to unscrupulous or criminal citizens, lest they should bring corruption and ruin upon the good citizens.” . . .

—from Book 1, Prose 4

Boethius’ grief has here made him indignant, even resentful. I can usually tell that my own thinking is off balance when I respond to a question by saying something like “isn’t it obvious?”

Bitter sarcasm can also be a symptom of my closed mind and short temper. Lady Philosophy had offered Boethius rest and comfort through the pursuit of wisdom, and she had assured him that a life of virtue would provide the greatest blessings. Apparently being attacked from all sides, the loss of position and honor, and the approach of impending death are the fullness of that comfort and blessing?

I think it fitting that Boethius appeals to some of the arguments from Plato’s Republic, and I have also found myself deeply affected by them. The Republic is a sprawling text, touching on most every aspect of philosophy, but it grows from a quest for the definition of justice, and proceeds by means of a discussion on the qualities of an ideal society. We can only know what it means to be a just man when we discover how it is that all people in a community should come to live together, all of them with their own distinct strengths and contributions.

Whose judgment should be the highest authority in the state? Surely we must ask ourselves what sort of human excellence can be of benefit not just for some, but for all. Merely being smart or clever, having riches and power, or possessing popularity and charm will not be enough, because each of those attributes can be both used and abused. What is required first and foremost is the ability to distinguish true from false, and right from wrong to begin with, the virtue of wisdom. Nothing in life will be good if we are not guided toward a proper end.

For this reason, Plato has Socrates suggest a novel solution. We shouldn’t have rulers who are career politicians, who have learned how to play the game, or generals, who have learned to impose military might, or businessmen, who have learned how to buy influence with their money, or even fine orators, who have learned how to rouse popular opinion with their words. Instead, a community will be on the road to justice when philosophers become kings, or when kings become philosophers.

None of this will make any sense if we misunderstand what Plato means by a philosopher, or if we neglect to even consider the ultimate purpose of human nature. But Boethius seems to have understood that only wise men, committed to the knowledge of the truth and the love of the good, can help to keep us safe from the schemes of wicked and selfish men. Virtue is the only antidote to vice.

Lady Philosophy, through the mouth of Plato, taught Boethius these things, but there seems to be no sign of justice. Where is the resting place, and where are the rewards? Instead, he sees only more of the same corruption and ruin.

I can almost picture Boethius gritting his teeth and boiling with anger. I think of the times when someone may have promised me the world, but it all came to nothing, and the frustration I have felt both at another for deceiving me, and at myself for allowing myself to be deceived. When I get into this kind of dark mood, I immediately think of my favorite cynical joke:

What are three biggest lies in the world? “The check is in the mail”,  “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help”, and “I love you”. Boethius surely feels like Lady Philosophy seems to have made a promise she didn’t keep.

Yet even the first time I read these passages, before I knew where Lady Philosophy was going to go with her arguments, I already thought I saw something of a problem with Boethius’ lament. He understands that the philosopher, the wise man who is best suited to discover meaning in life, must oppose the greed of the vicious man. Now the vicious man is misled by a desire for wealth, power, gratification, and fame, and Boethius is bemoaning the loss of precisely these things.

Why should I even seek those same things? Why should I define my character by the terms of criminal wants? Why am I assuming that a life of justice should yield the same rewards as a life of corruption? I surely can’t claim to order my life around a higher measure, and then complain about losing the trappings of a lower measure.

Written in 5/2015

Image: Pedro Berruguete, Solomon (c. 1500)


No comments:

Post a Comment