The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, April 23, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 1.13



. . . “Since, then, I had learned from you in quiet and inaction of this view, and I followed it further, for I desired to practice it in public government.

“You, and God Himself, who has grafted you in the minds of philosophers, are my witnesses that never have I applied myself to any office of state except that I might work for the common welfare of all good men.

“From there followed bitter quarrels with evil men which could not be appeased, and, for the sake of preserving justice, contempt of the enmity of those in power, for this is the result of a free and fearless conscience.” . . . 

—from Book 1, Prose 4

I suppose Boethius is angry that Lady Philosophy had told him about all sorts of wonderful things, but that she had never done any work to actively make them happen.

Yet perhaps she had done quite a few things to make them happen, not least among them encouraging Boethius to act for himself. He did indeed decide he wished to go into politics, so that he could work to make the wrong things right.

When I was a child, my father would often use the term “Crusader Rabbit” for anyone who was fired up to change the world. It was only years later that I realized this was a reference to one of the first television cartoons from his own childhood, with our titular hero and his sidekick, Ragland T. Tiger, righting wrongs in the face of the evil Dudley Nightshade. Those of us from a later generation may know something similar, with Rocky and Bullwinkle.

In the comics, cartoons, and most of our popular films, the ‘good guy’ always ends up winning. The Crusader Rabbit is always triumphant. But define winning, and define triumph. I was told in college, for example, that winning was success, and success was becoming rich, and becoming important.

How many of us have dedicated our lives to that false ideal, and how many of us are just as dazed and confused as we were to begin with? What you have, or what you are given, will make you no better. Who you are will make you better.

Consider Boethius himself. How could the political life make him better and happier? He wanted to change the world. He wanted his countrymen, no longer the citizens of Ancient Rome but the subjects of a Gothic king, to live with justice, and he apparently did everything he could to make that happen.

Now look where that got him.

I think of Socrates from Plato’s Apology, where he explains what politics would be to an honest man:

For I am certain, O men of Athens, that if I had engaged in politics, I should have perished long ago, and done no good either to you or to myself. And don't be offended at my telling you the truth.

For the truth is that no man who goes to war with you or any other multitude, honestly struggling against the commission of unrighteousness and wrong in the state, will save his life.

He who will really fight for the right, if he would live even for a little while, must have a private station, and not a public one.

Did Boethius really think that playing the game of power, while still inspired by a sense of justice, would somehow make him rich, popular, or mighty? It certainly would have done so if he had played it a certain way, but integrity and honesty were not that way. He brought all the wrongs cards to the table.

I should fight evil men, and I should fight for my conscience, but I should never expect to defeat evil men on their own terms. I should hope to help myself, and to help others, on quite different terms.

I fear I was always made to be a Crusader Rabbit. I itch and I burn when I see the entitled take advantage of the dispossessed. I should fight the good fight, and I should engage in a quarrel when called for, but I should use love as my weapon, not my hatred. 

Written in 6/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment