The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 1.8



In such a manner were the clouds of grief scattered. Then I drew breath again and engaged my mind in taking knowledge of my physician's countenance. So when I turned my eyes towards her and fixed my gaze upon her, I recognized my nurse, Philosophy, in whose chambers I had spent my life from earliest manhood.

And I asked her, “Why have you, mistress of all virtues, come down from heaven above to visit my lonely place of banishment? Is it that you, as well as I, may be harried, the victim of false charges?”

 “Should I,” said she, “desert you, my nursling? Should I not share and bear my part of the burden that has been laid upon you from spite against my name? Surely Philosophy never allowed herself to let the innocent go upon their journey without a friend.

“Do you think I would fear calumnies? That I would be terrified as though they were a new misfortune? Do you think that this is the first time that wisdom has been harassed by dangers among men of shameless ways?”

“In ancient days before the time of my child, Plato, have we not as well as nowadays fought many a mighty battle against the recklessness of folly? And though Plato did survive, did not his master, Socrates, win his victory of an unjust death, with me present at his side?

“When after him the followers of Epicurus, and in turn the Stoics, and then others did all try their utmost to seize his legacy, they dragged me, for all my cries and struggles, as though to share me as plunder.

“They tore my robe which I had woven with my own hands, and snatched away the fragments thereof, and when they thought I had altogether yielded myself to them, they departed.” . . .

—from Book 1, Prose 3

I fear I was born to be a reflective and philosophical person. That doesn’t mean I’ve ever managed to do it well, but it is my disposition nonetheless. There are those joyous times when I remember who I really am, and when I can thankfully put things in their proper perspective. These are the times I can be completely happy with myself, and with my appreciation of what is true and good, only for its own sake.

These are the times when I recognize Philosophy as my nurse.

None of it is about intellectual grandeur; I outgrew that illusion fairly quickly. No, it is about finding freedom and peace, living without all of the bells and the whistles, the trinkets and the trophies. It is about being able to know without a desire to manipulate by means of that knowledge, and being able to love without any ulterior motive for giving that love.

I smile and nod when I hear Boethius ask Lady Philosophy if she is going to suffer just like him. I have often been angry when people insult and slander truth, but it is foolish of me to think that truth itself can really ever suffer from malice or manipulation. Truth is timeless, eternal, and invincible. I may choose to ignore it, but it always remains there for whenever I choose to return.

Wisdom will never abandon me, though I have often sadly abandoned her. A real mother will never abandon her child, a dedicated lover never disposes of the beloved, and Philosophy will never neglect her followers.

The world has many shameless and hateful people, who have chosen their own selfish profit as the measure of their actions, whatever the cost to others may be. They can be quite fond of harassing Philosophy, because they know that truth and virtue stand in their way.

Yet the world also has many wise and loving people, who will give of themselves at every turn. They will turn to Philosophy as a comforter and as a friend.

We see more of the former, because they enjoy drawing attention to themselves. We don’t always see the latter, because they serve something greater than themselves.

When I first read this passage, I had to do the classic double take. How could Socrates possibly be said to have won a victory by being killed unjustly? Surely his shameless persecutors won the victory, and he was defeated? I had to read further to make any sense of this, but it reflects the incredible way that Boethius turns our expectations around by asking us to reconsider our most basic values. Stay tuned.

I hesitate to use such an ugly and powerful word, but I feel that I must. Some people attempt to symbolically rape Philosophy, because they try to make themselves masters of the truth. The shameless and hateful folks grab onto what little bit they think might be useful to help them feel powerful, they take it for themselves by force, and they leave behind everything else.

She won’t have any of it. A good man should surely know the greatness of a better woman. Wisdom is far stronger than the shallowness of my greedy passions.

Written in 5/2015

Image: Jacques-Louis David, The Death of Socrates (1787)

No comments:

Post a Comment