The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 12.6


Practice yourself even in the things that you despair of accomplishing. For even the left hand, which is ineffectual for all other things for want of practice, holds the bridle more vigorously than the right hand; for it has been practiced in this.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 12.6 (tr Long)

For a good number of years, one of my old professors would kindly send out a recommendation letter whenever I applied for a job. Now I hoped he had something decent to say, or I assumed he would otherwise never have agreed to write it for me.

I eventually saw a copy of that letter in my file at work. I suddenly realized that the letter had been a mixed blessing. It spoke about certain strengths he thought I might possess, yet it also contained an interesting statement:

“Dr. Milburn is often slow in learning new concepts, and in acquiring new skills. Yet when he gets there, he easily outshines most of his peers, ending up far more proficient than the rest.”

Now which part of that statement do you think any prospective employer read? Yes, the “slow learner” part. The man meant well, and I hold him no ill will, but that certainly didn’t go over well in a world where we are expected to immediately do the best job, as quickly as possible, and with no questions asked.

I am quite admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed, or the fastest horse on the track. I’m the ugly but reliable hatchet, the ungainly draft horse.

I do indeed take my time, not because I am lazy, but because I would prefer to do it right. I ask a lot of questions, perhaps more often than is comfortable. I try it again and again, perhaps more often than is efficient. I work slowly to work well, perhaps to the annoyance of others. I would, however, prefer to be the best worker, not the flashiest worker.

As a fine fellow I know, an expert machinist, likes to say: “Do it hastily, or do it well, but there’s no having it both ways.”

Simply wanting to do it well will not make me do it well. Simply engaging the task with confidence will not get the job done. I may want to impress, though it will not make me excel.

What will make the difference? I hate to say it, because it sounds like such a platitude, but it is just practice. Yes, practice makes perfect. Yes, virtue is a habit. Doing it once won’t cut it, while doing it over, and over, and over again, will make it like a second nature. It not only becomes effortless, it also becomes pleasant to do something well.

Did it seem impossible at first? Do you realize it is more than possible when you dedicate yourself to some annoying repetition? It is like this in all aspects of life, and it is like this in the absolutely most important aspect of life, the building of moral character.

I was born left-handed, but a teacher once insisted that I had to write with my right hand. One day, I decided I would teach myself to write with my left hand again. Did I do it? Yes. Was it easy? No. How long did it take? Far longer than I would like to say.

I often worry that I can’t resist this or that desire, or overcome this or that pain, or face the fact that this or that preferred circumstance will never come to me. Do I wish to become better? It starts with conviction, and continues with commitment; the latter becomes possible through the former. If it’s worth it, it will take time to do it right, and if it’s noble, it will take some elbow grease.

Yes, practice makes perfect.

Written in 7/2009


1 comment:

  1. Repetition becomes habit and habit mastery. It's very unlikely you'll ever get something on the first try but it's the repetition through practice that allows us to make progress and eventually leads to mastery.

    ReplyDelete