The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, September 27, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 12.23

Any one activity, whatever it may be, when it has ceased at its proper time, suffers no evil because it has ceased; nor he who has done this act, does he suffer any evil for this reason, that the act has ceased.

In like manner then the whole, which consists of all the acts, which is our life, if it cease at its proper time, suffers no evil for this reason, that it has ceased; nor he who has terminated this series at the proper time, has he been ill dealt with.

But the proper time and the limit Nature fixes, sometimes as in old age the peculiar nature of man, but always the Universal Nature, by the change of whose parts the whole Universe continues ever young and perfect. And everything that is useful to the Universal is always good and in season.

Therefore the termination of life for every man is no evil, because neither is it shameful, since it is both independent of the will and not opposed to the general interest, but it is good, since it is seasonable, and profitable to and congruent with the Universal. For thus too he is moved by the Deity who is moved in the same manner with the Deity, and moved towards the same thing in his mind.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 12.23 (tr Long)

Even as I continue to make many terrible mistakes in daily practice, I am encouraged to see certain habits of Stoic thinking take hold, slowly but surely. My immediate responses are no longer always measured only by my desires, or by the weight of my circumstances, but are informed more by a sense of right and wrong. I begin to see what is good and what is bad in very different ways than I did before, in ways I would once not have thought possible.

There was a time when my first reaction to an insult was only resentment. My thoughts can now more easily be about compassion.

There was a time when my first reaction to pain was only self-pity. My thoughts can now more easily be about self-mastery.

There was a time when my first reaction to loss was only despair. My thoughts can now more easily be about acceptance.

Loss has always been the most difficult situation for me to come to terms with. Surely, I have assumed, if something is good, then it should continue to be there? Why does it have to go away? Shouldn’t the best things last forever?

But for created things to act according to their specific natures, within the order of all of Nature, it is fitting that they both come to be and pass away. This is not contrary to what they are, but essential to what they are. The quantity of time for which they are here should never be confused with the quality of excellence they possess while they are here.

The parts will come and go, so that the whole can be forever rebuilt and renewed. Decay is no more an evil than growth, falling no more an evil than rising, death no more an evil than birth. Each thing has its distinct time and place, and it makes way so that the next thing will have its distinct time and place.

As I grow older, I see more and more of death. I see more people I love disappear, and I become increasingly aware that I will also soon disappear. For the longest time, I could only feel the deepest sadness when I thought about those who were gone, and I could only feel the deepest fear when I thought of my own end.

Yet something seems to have changed in me. Only the other day, I thought of my departed uncle, and I was surprised by the absence of any grief. In its place was gratitude. Instead of feeling sorrow for his loss, I felt an urge to live right now, as he would have wanted me to live.

He had suffered much, and he had carried many burdens, but he was a profoundly good man, one of the best I have had the privilege of knowing. There was nothing evil at all about him dying, because he had done well in his living. It was unnecessary to add anything more to who he was.

Why should I need to live any longer, if the very point of my living was in the content of my character, to know the true and to love the good for the time I was given? In this I have consciously shared in the design of Providence, and I will then have done what I was meant to do. No encore is required, because the job is complete, and the watch has now been passed to another.

Written in 9/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment