The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, July 31, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 14.3


Zeno, the chief of our school, when he heard the news of a shipwreck, in which all his property had been lost, remarked, "Fortune bids me follow philosophy in lighter marching order."

A tyrant threatened Theodorus with death, and even with want of burial. "You are able to please yourself," he answered, "my half pint of blood is in your power: for, as for burial, what a fool you must be if you suppose that I care whether I rot above the ground or under it."

“I have taken all of your possessions!” How wonderful that might actually end up being!

Good, now I have less stuff to carry around with me. You may have inadvertently done me a great favor. I can learn to become more while having less, and you will become less while having more.

“I will kill you, and I will make certain that your body has no final resting place!” How much better that might actually end up being!

Good, since that will not be any of my concern. You and yours will have to bear the stink, and I will still be free. I can learn to become better through my death, and you will become worse by bringing it about.

People often laugh at me when I extol the virtues of Stoicism. They tell me that I am foolish for claiming that wealth, or power, or pleasure don’t matter.

I never say that, however; I don’t say that they don’t matter, but I do say that there are other aspects of life that matter far more. I only suggest not confusing preferences with principles, accidents with essence, that which is desirable with that which is necessary. The former can only be measured by the latter.

I know many Holy Rollers, the folks who have houses full of pictures, and quilted pillows, and little knickknacks extolling how much God loves them.

“Look, here’s a picture of me kissing the ring of John Paul II!” Yes indeed, good times.

I also know many Social Justice Crusaders, the folks who have houses full of multicultural and politically correct mementos to show much they hate all of those ignorant folks they disagree with.

“Look, here’s a picture of me throwing my hot coffee in the face of a fascist cop!” Yes indeed, good times.

I would very much like to meet more people who are not interested in strutting about and putting on a show.

I would very much like more friends who look to what is within their souls, before they exclude others from their special group.

I would very much like to share my life with people who care more about me, instead of just caring about what I can do for them.

You know what? I would like to find all of that. I would deeply appreciate it, but I do not expect it. With my apologies to Colonel Frank Slade, I’ve been around, you know? I’ve seen things.

I will be no better or worse by how many times I have paid the local priest to say a Mass for me. I will be no better or worse by how many times I have been arrested for chaining myself to a tree.

I will certainly be far worse by spitting my venom on others, or somehow expecting the world to do as I command it.

I will only be far better when I take responsibility for myself, and for nothing else. Do you want to take away my stuff? Fine, it’s yours now, here it is.

Do you want to even destroy my very life? Have at it, since your taking of it is more important to you than my own living of it.

“But you’re a sinner! Your behavior is socially unacceptable!”

Whenever I am tempted to say such a hateful thing, I first try to look in the mirror. I don’t make you, and you don’t make me; we make ourselves.

Written in 12/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment